uniqs
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by TOPDAWG:

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by TOPDAWG:

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by donoreo:

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.

Lots of people at the top of the food chain who work hard are douche bags. It just allows them to do more damage to the fabric of society if they put more hours in that's all.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

I think the undoing of these two Stores have been returns and most/if not all people misusing that privilege. I see people here purchasing portable air conditioners in July and returning them after a month. The same happens during SB. 55-60 inch Plasma TVs and then returning after the Game. At least NCIX keeps people honest. No returns, if opened, after 2 weeks and then after a 15% restocking fee, at the discretion of the Store. No refunds, if opened, for Refurbished items.
Its no wonder they (FS & BB) went out of business.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

they haven't gone out of business...and i'm not sure of what FS/BB's return policy is on big screens, but when i worked in the business in the 90s, those things were final sale...it didn't take a genius to figure out a patter of 200 big screen sales on Friday and 199 returned on Monday...making them final sale saved the company a fortune.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

said by dirtyjeffer0:

they haven't gone out of business...

...Yet.

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

I remember Multi-Tech Warehouse.... LOL

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

I remember Majestic Electronics with their idiotic "If you find a lower price ANYWHERE, it's FREE!" policy. That didn't work out well for them.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by milnoc:

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.

Aventure was also opening big box style stores at the same time as "boutique" stores. I remember they had multiple "boutiques" in some malls!