Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Goggalor

Re: [Rant] Dark Souls: A Shitty console port

If it was a multi palt console game(ie ps3 and 360) they would still have to. Its really not hard, takes a few more minutes. Heck even psychnauts did that and its an old game.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

The original game, Demon's Souls, is a PS3 exclusive, so the one input is probably hard-coded into the game. From Software never expected to have the game blow up as much as it did when they originally wrote the game. They probably figured it would always be a PS3 exclusive.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Be that as it may, it doesn't excuse a lazy port. They could have changed that its not that hard to do. Its not hard to change a line of text from push the x button to push the space bar.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Krisnatharok

Wow Krisnatharok, thanks for the heads up!

I was just going to buy this game off steam, and just ran across this thread...i'll pass...definitely not buying this now if its that bad.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Be that as it may, it doesn't excuse a lazy port. They could have changed that its not that hard to do. Its not hard to change a line of text from push the x button to push the space bar.

Agreed, if they were that uncomfortable with it, they should have farmed out the programming to a more PC-comfortable team. It's too bad though because it's a fun game in it's own way.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Ok....lets take a deep breath here.

Was the port bad, yeah, absolutely, but there are a few things that you can do to fix it up. I've done this and have played MANY hours in this game. It's actually very addicting and, while frustrating, a VERY deep game for a console. I really enjoy it.

1) The first thing you have to do is get the dsfix for this. This unlocks the resolutions for the game.

Get it here: »blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Instructions here: »darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19

**disable AA in game, it handles it and will cause graphical issue.

2) Playing this with K+M is a waste of time. Don't bother. You need a gamepad or a true xb360 controller. I don't have one, I use a POS Saitek Rumble Force, but the need to get it to work with the game introduced me to a kickass xb360 emulator called x360ce.

Get it here: »code.google.com/p/x360ce/wiki/MainPage

It takes some tweaking to get it right, but basically, you fire it up, make sure all your settings are good, all buttons work, etc. and then exit out. You'll have some files in the directory that you placed the emulator in. Take all of the files, including the .exe, and place it into the /bin directory of the game you want to play (where the game .exe is located) and drop all of them in there. When the game starts, it will hook and load the emulator on its own. This is true for ANY game, which makes it so kick ass, and once you've created those files and got them the way you want them, you don't ever have to restart the app itself, just grab the files and drop them in and you're ready to go. You'll know its working as you'll hear it 'ding' at game launch. Pretty cool.

Was the port shitty, yup and should have been able to handle all of this, but with a little elbow grease, I find the game to be extremely fun and challenging. The core game itself is awesome. Don't regret buying it in the slightest. If anyone needs help getting it going, PM me and I'll be glad to help.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor