Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

i agree...i never understood that either...dumb.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I believe at the time (going back to 2001 now) that FS was not in all centres and had a small presence out west I believe and being a perdominantely eastern based organization...

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Perhaps its just holding onto that brand? Also the fact that BB isn't on commission and FS reps are would be the only other thing I could tell what the difference is...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by nitzguy:

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Yep. They opened a new FS in Ottawa a year or two ago.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
yeah they have a new one in barrie it's forking huge and a new best buy opened in the same mall at the same time. The one they closed in barrie was redone inside but it's not near the size of the new one they still have.