Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [Rant] Dark Souls: A Shitty console port

said by Krisnatharok:

Having just finished off Dishonored, I decided to take a look at Dark Souls: Prepare to Die, that I had sitting in my gaming queue since whenever i picked it up on sale.

Man, this thing is a piece of shit. First off, it requires GfWL or you can't save progress. At all.

Secondly, it's as bad as you think--no effort was made to adjust anything for PC. Menus have you scroll left and right, and no drop-down menus are to be found. It took 2 minutes just to scroll through all the resolutions.

Ther was also no effort in changing the key prompts. "Press A!" "Press B!" No idea, and no effort went into the PC version of this game.

And the graphics look like shit for a game released last August. Easily something out of 2007-2008.

0 of 10, IMO.

Welp, From Software said from the start that they have zero experience writing games for PC. They ported it to the PC because of the humongous amount of people that asked for Dark Souls to be ported on their forums. So, for having zero experience, they did a decent job, for most reviewers' opinions (I have the 360 version of the game).

As for the graphics, it is using the same engine as Demon's Souls, which came out in 2007. Graphics tweaks are also part of having PC experience. If I recall correctly, several users from their forums have been trying to help them with graphical tweaks.

You are missing out on a very good game, KrisN. It is hard, but not impossible or cheap (except for about 2 spots in the game). Dark Souls will kill you... repeatedly, but every time you learn and get just that little bit better until you are able to best what is defeating you. Sif (a giant wolf that wields a sword in its mouth) kicked the crap out of me about 10 times, until I got the telltale movements down correctly and then BAM! Dead Sif and huge satisfaction from overcoming a difficult challenge.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

The thing is, this game, along with a few others, made the ports completely unfriendly for something EXTREMELY simple.

Press A
Press B
Press Y
Press RB

doesn't mean shit to a person on a computer. How hard is it to change the wording of something so important?

And allowing to use a mouse properly shouldn't take too much effort either. And it makes a huge difference as well.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

How hard is it to change? Tough to say since I did not write code for the game.

I get what you mean, though, a controller is immensely helpful to playing the game (again, from what I have read, as I have the 360 version).

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Its not hard, just go in and change the text, if they did it the right way. Similar to editing posts here. Like I said assuming it was done the right way.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

I get what you mean, though, a controller is immensely helpful to playing the game (again, from what I have read, as I have the 360 version).

I have a controller. It's not an Xbox controller though, as I don't need one, I'm happy with my current controller... but it doesn't have a button A, or a button Y! Or whatever else the xbox one has. >:(