uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssherwood
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON
reply to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Hi there - is the new Pro Cable Internet product actually available as indicated on your website, and is the speed the full 45/4Mbps?

-- SS

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
said by ssherwood:

Hi there - is the new Pro Cable Internet product actually available as indicated on your website, and is the speed the full 45/4Mbps?

The availability depends on your postal code, but if »www.start.ca/services/highspeed/availability says it's available then it's good to go. As for speeds, with the exception of the way cable works with occasional possibility of node issues, yes most people are posting their awesome speeds in a bunch of threads. Thanks!

ssherwood
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON
Cool - I did use my postal code. I might have to give you folks a try. Thanks.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to rocca
Currently with TSI, I have a Docsis 3.0 DCM476. From what I understand, since I currently have cable and an approved modem, If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

3 more, exactly, and mine is #2 of them.

One more post to Page Birth of #80.

OK, everyone PUSH !!!

Toutes ensemble, maintenant....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
I'm on page 16>>! Lolz! xD! Bump! Haha!

(I prefer reading vertically then horizontally! :P!)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Perma
said by Perma:

If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Correct, there is no charge for transfers if you have an active cable internet connection at the same address under your name.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start?

If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by jasmo34:

If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start? If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

That's a good question, to be honest I can't say for sure what Red would do on a trouble ticket. When we place the order we must pick the model/firmware from a drop down and anything old is simply not available for us to select. I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by rocca:

....I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

While we are on that, might it be a good idea to specify on the modem model lists (BTW, good that they are also on the web page now, and not just 'hidden' in the order form system), that the Cisco DPC3000 needs to be Hardware Rev 2, as well as the firmware version ?

In fact, it was demonstrated by a couple of the early adopters last April that the hardware rev is more important, as Cogeco will push the firmware updates anyway and reboot the modem, as soon as it is first hooked up.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
I'd still like to get a HW rev 1 in my hands to see if I can talk it into working. I've never even seen one...

Well, to be fair, I've only ever seen 5 total, so..
--
electronicsguru.ca