uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Cox_LV_Eng

Re: [NV] Las Vegas Speed Increase?

said by Cox_LV_Eng:

If you guys are on a tier that has been upgraded and you are not seeing a speed increase you will need to call in to our customer care folks and have them look at your account. They can either fix the issue manually for you and/or explain why you weren't upgraded.

Short explanation... If there was an issue with your account during the config upgrade process you were not changed. Hope that helps...

Spoke to two different people and they were clueless, and would not transfer me to someone higher up. They said my router was the problem even though it was bypassed. they are sending a tech out tomorrow, hopefully he can get it. If not then they need to lower my bill to preferred since I am still getting old 25/2 still.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
when you call make sure you ask to speak to someone local in Las Vegas because half the time you will talk to reps out of state

explain to them that Las Vegas has a speed upgrade and that you were skipped from getting the upgrade

all the techs from different states had no idea what i was talking about until i got someone locally

tell them that you were getting the old premier speeds via speed test results

like i said i had to make 15 different calls before i found out what the issue was

turns out my promo for internet was keeping them from pushing the modem config file to allow for more speed

tell them to look into it and find out if they blocked your modem due issues like this

i was able to get the upgrade

the rep removed my promo added the new code to allow the d3 config file to be pushed to my modem

after that she was able to put me back on my current promo

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
Finally found one that was knowledgeable and found my account didn't have the D3 flag. He set it and now I am speeding along happily.

I didn't have any promos or contracts. Paying full price so I don't know why the flag wasn't there.

hot304tee

join:2006-07-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to bryant313

This is pretty much the standard for me but I think I'm throttled or there's some kind of traffic shaping going on!

Check the timestamps

orion44

join:2013-01-31
Las Vegas, NV
One call to Cox support and I'm now enjoying a STEADY 12 Mpbs (1.5 MB/s) upload speed - HUGE improvement over measly 2.3 Mpbs!

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to hot304tee
what plan are you because if you are on premier i looks like you have not been upgraded

also are you wired or wireless?

hot304tee

join:2006-07-15
Las Vegas, NV
I'm on premiere and I'm running a DOC3 modem, using an apple time capsule so yeah I'm pretty much wireless.

lisster

join:2009-01-13
Las Vegas, NV
Tech came out the same day i called (pretty awesome).
He thought my upstream power was a bit low (37db) so he went outside and fiddled with the cables there.
That resulted in my downstream avrg power level going down from 4 to 0.1 (seriously awesome heh) and upstream now around 45.

Didnt seem to fix it so he had me go directly through the modem (dpc3010) which i had done the day before. took a LONG time to get an IP address but then my speeds were as advertised (65down,20up, he was surprised at the speed himself).
Which he figured meant it was my router (asus rt16 with tomato).

He then left saying it was up to me to fix it which was fine by me, i know the tech behind the modem well and the guy was really helpful as far as he could help me. So far cox subcontractors sent to my house have been amazing.

tl;dr-
After he left i rebooted everything and the speeds stayed good so perhaps it helps to force an IP change if you are having issues

orion44

join:2013-01-31
Las Vegas, NV
reply to orion44
Speedtest results going all the way to Mojave:

Kissler

join:2012-07-06
Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313
So, some interesting info:

The Mojave speed test site doesn't really work all that well. Try other sites.

(Sounds stupid) Ensure your router has a 10/100/1000 WAN port. Thankfully, mine was.

If you're running DD-WRT, some Linksys models (like the E3000) have a bug with getting over 60mbps WAN to LAN.

Here's a real world test for ya:
»imgur.com/Zjxa1Jp

vegasmach1

join:2004-11-26
Las Vegas, NV
Nice speed bump, thanks Cox.