uniqs
share rss forum feed

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
reply to bchandler02

Re: [OK] Another day, another Cox outage

With pingplotter, does all hops go red when the dropouts happen? the image above show's hop 3.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bchandler02:

Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.

Well that sounds like a upstream noise issue in your area. As I am sure if there was a noise issue home side causing this problem, one of the tech's that has been to your place would of found the problem. Still it's the job of your local cox guy's to find the source of the issue, and they should be able to lookup modem's around you, to see if/how many others are being affected by this problem. Because if it's a home side issue, people around you modem's would be unaffected by this problem.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.

Do you know if they have tested the lines at your house, to see if there is anything pushing noise/voltage threw them? Because a home noise/voltage issue could easily cause a problem.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bchandler02:

Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.

But did they do it for a period of time? as from what you have said, it's not a constant issue, but happens often.

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12
reply to bchandler02

said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side.

That sort of activity would show in the modem logs. Can you post a screenshot of them?

BTW, you PingPlotter graph doesn't show your router inline. Is that PingPlotter graph with the PC directly connected to modem?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Not with the Cisco I can't.

In the Moto, I would have a T3 rarely (1x/week?) but that's it, nothing else.

No, it was including the router.

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

1 edit

There aren't any default home router gateway IPs in the PingPlotter post, which is rather strange...

Are the LAN IPs in the default 192.168.x.x range or is it something different like 10.0.1.x range?

If your home router is using the 10.0.1.x range it may cause some odd issues since Cox probably uses that address space for modem management IPs. Most home routers I've seen don't block private IP address space traffic across the WAN port by default.

If you are using normal default 192.168.x.x home router LAN addressing, it's odd it doesn't show in the PingPlotter graph.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

I'm using a 192 range. It has never shown up on any pingplotter or tracert.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

That's a little strange in itself. If you're running ping plotter from your PC the default gateway which would be your router should show up just like any other hop along the path.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

I agree that it's a little odd, but it seems that most Dlink routers do this for some reason. I've never bothered to figure out why.

FWIW, I never heard back yesterday, so I don't know the status of anything. However, yesterday afternoon, I did see 2 line trucks running up and down the street.