TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

Ottawa is getting looked at first due to capacity on existing TPIA network that would require additional facilities that we know will not get used once migrated...

I have to say though, if you feel the need to move on. That's entirely your choice.. The situation is what it is... I don't think it would have been realistic to change sooner.. We only knew about this speed matching thing in December... Until then we had until the end of this year with no real reason to rush past that.. And considering everything else that needed attention.. We were focused on the most important issues... Now that we know, we will do what we can to accelerate the process. Maybe it's possible to move more quickly.. We'll have to see how it goes. Once the plan is more firmly set, I'll update everybody here. I'm hoping that we'll have that plan set in the next week or two.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

Thanks for the confirmation Marc, I really appreciate it and I await that update.

I feel better now as I don't necessarily have to change providers due to the CRTC decision today, because Ottawa is making the switch first which is lucky for me If upon that update TSI is able to provide faster cable internet with the same great customer service in the near future (in 1-2 months, as the competition is able to deliver now I'd argue), I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt in return for the (largely) superb service recieved up to today and I'll sit here and patiently twiddle my thumbs until that update is posted

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

.. We'll have to see how it goes...

Why not go after a different demographic for the next year till things sort themselves out?

Current packages at amazing discounted prices. Probably a million light to moderate users out there would be thrilled to catch a break on their already too high utility costs by using your current lineup.

If No Frills can pull it off why not "Teksavvy, Your Canadian Discount ISP".

Give a 10% seniors discount etc. Create a whole new niche in the Internet marketplace.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 edit

TypeS

Hmm well the CRTC decision certainly sucks. I will be staying with TekSavvy and waiting for the switch of the POI I am on to ATPIA. Also Start's profile for what is the prior 28/1 on Rogers network is $3 more than Teksavvy's 28/1 and 50GB less usage, no thanks. Im not sacrificing usage for speed. As for the 45/3 package, I rarely max out my current 28Mbps except for short periods every day, I'm not paying an extra $13 for 2Mbps more of upload when I don't need it currently.

I use VOIP as well but never really suffer any issues. Actually, it's when everyone in my home is downloading/streaming HD stuff that I suffer any issues. 1Mbps is enough for VOIP and torrent traffic. There's so many well seeded torrents out there that you hardly lose out for severely restricting your client's upload (unlike in years past where people uploading little got penalized by the tracker).

Also the highest VOIP codec is only 64Kbps (think dial up speed), even with over head you're thinking maybe 10kB/s at most if your ATA is transmitting at G.711u. I had doubts that VOIP providers like Vonage allowed the use of that codec since its normally used for inter-network calling, not across WANs. But they do, according to this DSLR thread. According to the thread, even with overhead, you're looking at about 14kB/s of upload is the max your VOIP device will ever use.

30~40kB/s uploading on torrents is enough to get a healthy download, unless you're on some torrent that's got a bad seeder/peer ratio.

In short if torrenting and VOIP are you're uploading concerns, 1Mbps is enough, VOIP only uses 10% of that.

Hopefully the CBB ruling comes back favourably.

Also Marc about launching in Cogeco areas, are you able to at the least match Cogeco's pricing profile by profile but offer higher usage caps? I'm sure there are people the value being able to use their connection more than having a discounted rate.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by TSI Marc:

.. We'll have to see how it goes...

Why not go after a different demographic for the next year till things sort themselves out?

Current packages at amazing discounted prices. Probably a million light to moderate users out there would be thrilled to catch a break on their already too high utility costs by using your current lineup.

If No Frills can pull it off why not "Teksavvy, Your Canadian Discount ISP".

Give a 10% seniors discount etc. Create a whole new niche in the Internet marketplace.

Margins are already super tight at Teksavvy. It costs them at least $20 a customer to lease the last mile from Rogers. Once you add in capacity costs, labour, marketing etc. the profits margins aren't high enough to lower prices while being profitable. If they're going to go the no frills route, something is going to have to give. The fees that Teksavvy pays to Rogers are non negotiable, so the only other things you can cut is your customer support stuff. Also, seniors light internet users are unlikely to even know that TPIAs like Teksavvy exists. To reach those customers, Teksavvy would have to spend more money on marketing to reach that consumer segment.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We only knew about this speed matching thing in December...

What December would that be? Pretty sure incumbents started filing their 2011-703/704 TNs around December 2011. That's when Rogers originally said they were only doing speed matching on aggregated and the CRTC agreed with Rogers' tariff to that effect in the following months... so TSI should have known about this for over a year already.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

We only knew about this speed matching thing in December...

What December would that be? Pretty sure incumbents started filing their 2011-703/704 TNs around December 2011. That's when Rogers originally said they were only doing speed matching on aggregated and the CRTC agreed with Rogers' tariff to that effect in the following months... so TSI should have known about this for over a year already.

Sorry, that's not true. We had our speeds upgraded twice if I recall correctly since the 703/704 decisions. We fully expected that the speeds we had.. Would get upgraded the same way as they had always been.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by TSI Marc:

Sorry, that's not true. We had our speeds upgraded twice if I recall correctly since the 703/704 decisions. We fully expected that the speeds we had.. Would get upgraded the same way as they had always been.

The newest set of "upgrades" were technically/officially introduced as new tiers rather than upgrades - gotta love loopholes. The 703/704 decisions did agree that Rogers had no obligation to offer new tiers under non-aggregated and the CRTC's latest decision simply echoed that.

Considering what happened to TSI last time Rogers bumped speeds by 30-50%, I would view the lack of new-tier speed matching on non-agg as a blessing in disguise since I doubt TSI's Rogers-TPIA subscribers would have enjoyed chronic peak-hours congestion for the next several months.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Marc:

The newest set of "upgrades" were technically/officially introduced as new tiers rather than upgrades - gotta love loopholes. The 703/704 decisions did agree that Rogers had no obligation to offer new tiers under non-aggregated and the CRTC's latest decision simply echoed that.

Yeah... I suppose also though, the speeds we started at and would end up at we're actually far apart... I didn't think we would still be dealing with speed matching issues regardless though, that possibility seemed very foreign to me given how arduous a task it was to finally get to the bottom of that in the 703/704... Like more than half a decade...

The reality is that we do have speed matching.. As soon as we migrate, everybody gets the higher speeds. So in any case it's a temporary type of decision.
said by InvalidError:

Considering what happened to TSI last time Rogers bumped speeds by 30-50%, I would view the lack of new-tier speed matching on non-agg as a blessing in disguise since I doubt TSI's Rogers-TPIA subscribers would have enjoyed chronic peak-hours congestion for the next several months.

Well, sort of.. The thing is that without knowing if this decision was going to pass or not.. We didn't know where to throw ourselves... Focusing on Aggregated amounted to yet another added problem since we couldn't take our eye off the existing stuff which was very onerous... Just like we didn't know they were going to do three major speed upgrades in one year... When you're planning is already difficult due to the growth.. And you add in those factors... When we're already ordering links by the multiple dozen... It's been the equivalent to changing a transmission on a moving vehicle. Then add in everything else like copyright stuff..

Had it have passed, we would surely have had to work with Rogers to figure out when we might have enough capacity to light the new speeds up... Both them and us would have continued to invest in the legacy TPIA infrastructure, we likely would have had to order an extra 20gig links just to accommodate those upgrade... and it might have negatively affected existing users until those were in. And, ordering an extra 20 gig links ahead of time without knowing this decision didn't make any sense either, we were in a pickle... Which, makes Rogers request to not give the upgrade until we migrate reasonable in the end I think and it also makes the CRTCs decision to approve it.. reasonable. And we get some additional clarity on speeds to boot. ...and in the end everybody still gets the speed upgrades anyway.
Petey1013
join:2013-01-30
Ottawa, ON

Petey1013

TSI Marc you're awesome.

And here's hoping Ottawa is first

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Hey Marc.... no pressure or anything... ... but what does mean for higher speeds in the Montreal area....????

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Rickkins:

Hey Marc.... no pressure or anything... ... but what does mean for higher speeds in the Montreal area....????

This affects Rogers cable on non-aggregated. Not Videotron.

Going by the little smiles here and there in another topic about videotron, it seems something is in the works and might be worth waiting for. Give it a month (+/-)
InvalidError

InvalidError to Rickkins

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

It does not change anything for Videotron since Videotron's TPIA has always been at least regionally aggregated... one POI in Montreal to access ~3M subscribers in that area, same goes for Quebec City, so two POIs to access ~85% of Videotron's footprint rather than Rogers' ~40.

So even before aggregated tariffs, Videotron was pretty much already aggregated anyhow... and before Bell's throttling, UBB, etc., the Videotron-TPIA tariffs were so bad, there was almost no advantage in going with a TPIA rather than Videotron itself, so almost no ISP bothered with it until Bell broke the camel's back.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Any update on the plan? Been just about 2 weeks. You might have posted it & I didn't see it. Hopefully you can update us soon
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

said by mikee:

Any update on the plan? Been just about 2 weeks. You might have posted it & I didn't see it. Hopefully you can update us soon

I wish... This is the CRTC we're talking about. Like many other government agencies, their definition of "within 3 - 5 business days" really means "within 3 - 5 calendar months" usually. Then again, this is our lovely government at work for ya.
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Hmm but Marc wrote that he would give a plan within 1-2 weeks. It's now 2 weeks the plan is more a TSI plan not really anything to do with the CRTC. When they will become AGG or start becoming AGG. I will quote his post so you can see what I am talking about incase I misread it.
quote:
Ottawa is getting looked at first due to capacity on existing TPIA network that would require additional facilities that we know will not get used once migrated...

I have to say though, if you feel the need to move on. That's entirely your choice.. The situation is what it is... I don't think it would have been realistic to change sooner.. We only knew about this speed matching thing in December... Until then we had until the end of this year with no real reason to rush past that.. And considering everything else that needed attention.. We were focused on the most important issues... Now that we know, we will do what we can to accelerate the process. Maybe it's possible to move more quickly.. We'll have to see how it goes. Once the plan is more firmly set, I'll update everybody here. I'm hoping that we'll have that plan set in the next week or two.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Working on it gang.. Should hopefully have an agreement with Rogers soon.
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Thanks for the update.