Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to chip89

Re: Can't locate main water shut-off valve

said by chip89:

Like others have said you need to go looking for it in your yard it will look like this

I would love to see a meter box like that in a location north of the line marked 20 on this map.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland

said by cdru:

said by chip89:

Like others have said you need to go looking for it in your yard it will look like this

I would love to see a meter box like that in a location north of the line marked 20 on this map.

Our meter is outside in a hole about 3 ft deep over here in the Lafayette area. Only time I ever witnessed trouble was during the 78 blizzard when we had about 20 days below zero. most around here stuffed the meter hole with news papers and burned them to unfreeze the line.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to cdru

i've seen outdoor buried water meters in the NYC area.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to cdru

Here a lot of the water shut off valves are in a box outside.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by chip89:

Here a lot of the water shut off valves are in a box outside.

I didn't say that they aren't. I said I'd love to see a meter box that the one you posted in a northern climate that has a frost line > 20 inches.

You're picture is not just a shutoff valve. It's the shutoff valve and a meter. It also is a foot or so below the surface from the appearance of that. I don't have the link to it right off hand, but I believe curb stops and meters in the Cleveland area are typically 4-5'. They can be higher than that, but typically you don't want an inch or two water line to go into the frost line unless it's only for seasonal use and gets drained in cold weather.