Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to bionicRod

Re: [Rant] Dark Souls: A Shitty console port

said by bionicRod:

This is why I have consoles and a gaming PC. The game is really good, but it is a known shitty port to the PC. The same thing is coming up with Dead Space 3. If I were going to get it (which I'm not...microtransactions in a sp game? dickish PC comments from the dev team leader? pass) I'd get it on a console.

I may do that--the premise looked good, but I was extremely disappointed the execution. I took maybe half an hour to try to get everything right, but ended up just deleting the game when it kept yelling at me to Press A! Press B! Press LB! Press RB!

It's not hard to point the code at the action and not the stupid controller button. I'm not a coder, but it should go something like:
(buttonboundtogameaction=Use, lookupfromtablekeybindfor'Use', 'Use'=spacebar)="Press spacebar!"

But they went the lazy route, and assumed that 1) console players would never (or are unable to) remap their controls, and 2) PC gamers would never play their game anyways.

That way if you rebind it, the prompt in the game will change as well. This is nothing but lazy coding, and you're a bad developer if you don't KNOW what makes a good PC game. Unless they grew up purposefully avoiding PCs, then they have no business in the gaming market, as that means they couldn't even hire a PC advisor to steer them away from the console port pitfalls.

And nobody better dare tell me to get a controller to enjoy the game. This is the PC gaming forum, and I better be able to do it with my keyboard and mouse (unless it's a flight sim).

I'd love to see a game developer try to put console players and PC gamers in the same universe in something like a shooter... PC gamers would rape all the console gamers until they figured out how to hack a mouse to work with their xbox.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
I actually have a gamepad for my PC. But it's not an Xbox one.. so the A, B, RB, etc. tells me nothing even when I use one! :\

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I'd love to see a game developer try to put console players and PC gamers in the same universe in something like a shooter... PC gamers would rape all the console gamers until they figured out how to hack a mouse to work with their xbox.

They have done studies on this, thats exactly what happened. "Pros" at the console/gamers using gamepads games got raped by pc gamers who have never played the game before but know how to play fpses on the pc. Not surprising, look how much more precise you can get with a KB+M. I think thats also one of the reasons ms wont let console and pc gamers play together.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

And nobody better dare tell me to get a controller to enjoy the game. This is the PC gaming forum, and I better be able to do it with my keyboard and mouse (unless it's a flight sim).

These type of 3rd person games (at least for me) always play better on a controller. The Witcher 2 is another game for example that plays beautiful on a controller.

It's just one of those things.

I'm as hooked on PC gaming as the rest in this forum, but I can't ignore when a game just feels better on a controller.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
You make a good point, some games are better on a controller(alice madness returns for instance), even back in the 90's when pc was on top some games were better on a controller. IIRC jazz jackrabbit had a controller you could order that supposedly was wonderful, and I enjoyed toy story 2 more on a game pad than KB+M when the game pad worked. Thats one of the strong points of a pc, you are not limited to one input device you can use pretty much anything.

Though I have to say I preferred TW2 on a KB+M over a controller. Granted with all the updates they've had for it its possible they updated the KB+M input since I only played it late last month.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ghastlyone
I don't mind a controller at all--what I do mind is being told to use a controller or GTFO.

TW2 is a great example--the combat was intuitive to me with KB+M, but apparently is also blended well with a controller, and went on to be a PC port (not too many of those) a year later for Xbox.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by bionicRod:

This is why I have consoles and a gaming PC. The game is really good, but it is a known shitty port to the PC. The same thing is coming up with Dead Space 3. If I were going to get it (which I'm not...microtransactions in a sp game? dickish PC comments from the dev team leader? pass) I'd get it on a console.

I may do that--the premise looked good, but I was extremely disappointed the execution. I took maybe half an hour to try to get everything right, but ended up just deleting the game when it kept yelling at me to Press A! Press B! Press LB! Press RB!

It's not hard to point the code at the action and not the stupid controller button. I'm not a coder, but it should go something like:
(buttonboundtogameaction=Use, lookupfromtablekeybindfor'Use', 'Use'=spacebar)="Press spacebar!"

But they went the lazy route, and assumed that 1) console players would never (or are unable to) remap their controls, and 2) PC gamers would never play their game anyways.

That way if you rebind it, the prompt in the game will change as well. This is nothing but lazy coding, and you're a bad developer if you don't KNOW what makes a good PC game. Unless they grew up purposefully avoiding PCs, then they have no business in the gaming market, as that means they couldn't even hire a PC advisor to steer them away from the console port pitfalls.

Well, when you are coding for only consoles, why make it so it checks a keybind when you know it is already going to be exactly one possible keybind?

Also, play it with a controller. :p If it is more comfortable to play with a controller and you have one, why not use it? Just because you can force the square peg through the round hole, you would get more enjoyment if you just put it in the square hole. ;)

--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
If it was a multi palt console game(ie ps3 and 360) they would still have to. Its really not hard, takes a few more minutes. Heck even psychnauts did that and its an old game.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
The original game, Demon's Souls, is a PS3 exclusive, so the one input is probably hard-coded into the game. From Software never expected to have the game blow up as much as it did when they originally wrote the game. They probably figured it would always be a PS3 exclusive.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Be that as it may, it doesn't excuse a lazy port. They could have changed that its not that hard to do. Its not hard to change a line of text from push the x button to push the space bar.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by me1212:

Be that as it may, it doesn't excuse a lazy port. They could have changed that its not that hard to do. Its not hard to change a line of text from push the x button to push the space bar.

Agreed, if they were that uncomfortable with it, they should have farmed out the programming to a more PC-comfortable team. It's too bad though because it's a fun game in it's own way.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have