share rss forum feed

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN
kudos:1
reply to Sonnie

Re: [CenturyTel] Poor Line Attenuation

said by Sonnie:

Let me know your username if it is different.

It be the same.. thanks.

Sonnie

join:2010-12-11
Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

Let me know your username if it is different.

Also Toby... same offer for you if you are interested.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

said by Sonnie:

I am going to say it is FIXED! I have not had so much as a hiccup since it connected today and there is no doubt I would have had one by now, simply because I have NEVER used it for this long without a timeout.

Thank you so VERY much Midniteoyl ... and everyone else too, but you did hang in there with me and FINALLY offer the major key to getting the fix.

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

I will check out the forum. I do like home audio/video (even have a set of Klipsch 5.2's I got on accommodation sale for 25 cent on the dollar - originally $1100 a pair - back in the day when I worked for Soundtrack that are still some of the best I have ever heard- »www.klipsch.com/kg-5-2/details), but i wouldnt call myself an 'enthusiast' anymore

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Sonnie

I need to also throw out a big thanks to Toby, as it appears he may have been the one who first mentioned the bridge issues. THANK YOU Toby! And again... thanks to Midniteoyl for hanging in there with me and getting me through it all. I know I could not have done without you guys.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to Sonnie

The benefit would be that if you used internal static IP for each device, it could use that same IP address.

Someone else would have to comment on the different ranges thing

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

I am going to say it is FIXED! I have not had so much as a hiccup since it connected today and there is no doubt I would have had one by now, simply because I have NEVER used it for this long without a timeout.

Thank you so VERY much Midniteoyl ... and everyone else too, but you did hang in there with me and FINALLY offer the major key to getting the fix.

Seriously... surfing and posting over on my forum is flat out awesome... even at 1.5Mbps. I get 12Mbps at my office and never thought I would get excited about 1.5Mbps, but when it isn't hanging, it is sooo much better. If you like talking home theater or audio... let me know if you join and I will give you a free Platinum membership. www.hometheatershack.com

It is still a puzzle as to why it only gave me issues on my laptop, but hey... I will take it!

Now if I can just get CenturyLink to improve my lines to the house and get me up to 4Mbps... I will be on cloud nine and order me up some Netflix streaming.

What is so crazy about this is that it has been over two years that this has been going on. Wow!

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to TheMayor

At this point, changing connections on any computer is a matter of a couple of clicks on the network icon to connect to the other network.

What benefit would what you suggest give me ... and is there anything wrong with using different ranges?

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to Sonnie

If that did fix the connection issue, you can also setup both routers so that you can use the same IP range regardless of what internet connection it's using.

For example, I have both DSL & Cable. For the DSL router, I assigned this router 192.168.0.1, & have DHCP turned on. For the Cable router, I assigned the IP 192.168.0.2 & turned off DHCP. Next connect the two routers together with an Ethernet cable (numbered port to numbered port). You should be able to access either router regardless of what internet connection your using.

The default will be the dsl connection, but if you needed to change it, just assign a fixed ip for the computer & change the default ip & preferred dns to 192.168.0.2

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

Glad to hear.. Let us know..

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

I am going out on a limb here and saying this has fixed it. It seems like I have a new computer with new Internet connection.

:fingers-crossed:

I will report back with definite confirmation and a BIG thank you asap.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

Awesome.. knew it had to be simple..

Yes, now we see.. Even if it doesnt, your network is better for this change, and we will have narrowed it down.

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

Clicking Edit next to that Type of Connection, then clicking APPLY connected it. Not sure why that has not been working, but perhaps I have just been clicking OK and not APPLY. YAHOO! Now, let's see if this solves the timeout issues.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

I would call CL tech and tell them what you are doing and what router you have. They can tell you what settings to use in your area. For example, I have Dynamic IP (not PPPoE) and thus dont have a Name and Password. VPI: 8, VCI: 35. Encapsulation Mode: LLC.

I have also seen some people on PPPoE needing to manually set the MTU to 1492 or 1480.

Heres thier online setup for an older Cisco (linksys): »internethelp.centurylink.com/int···poe.html

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

Dont have your router, but, I would think its accessed by hitting 'Edit' next to 'Type of Connection' here: »/r0/download/2···8479_332

Sonnie

Luverne, AL

1 edit
reply to TaterBob

Here are the status settings:

Router Information
Firmware Version: 2.1.39.145204
Current Router Time: Tuesday, 07 August 2012 14:14:15 (GMT -05:00)
Current Browser Time: Sunday, 02 February 2014 13:50:58 (GMT -06:00)
Internet MAC Address: [Removed]
Server Name: Cisco00034
Host Name: Cisco00034
Domain Name:

Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Services

Internet Connection (IPv4)
Connection Type: PPPoE
Login Status: Connecting
Internet Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
DNS1:
DNS2:
DNS3:
MTU:
DHCP Lease Time:

Internet Connection (IPv6)
Connection Type: Connecting
Internet Address:
Default Gateway:
DNS1:
DNS2:
DNS3:
DHCP Lease Time:

Local Network
Local MAC Address: [Removed]
IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IPv6 Link-Local Address:
Prefix Address:

DHCP Server
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP Address: 192.168.0.151
End IP Address: 192.168.0.200
Client lease time: 1440
Static DNS 1:
Static DNS 2:
Static DNS 3:
WINS:

2.4 GHz Wireless Network
MAC Address: [Removed]
Mode: 802.11bgn
Network Name (SSID): Tide-DSL
Channel Width: Auto
Channel: Auto
Security: WPA2 Personal

5 GHz Wireless Network
MAC Address: [Removed]
Mode: 802.11an
Network Name (SSID): Tide-DSL
Channel Width: Auto
Channel: Auto
Security: WPA2 Personal

Ports
10/100Mbps 1Gbps
Internet X
10/100Mbps 1Gbps
Port 1
Port 2
Port 3
Port 4

[MAC Addresses removed for privacy - sashwa]

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to TaterBob

I think I have done that... (bridge and bridge - per the instructions) and I have already found my ID and password and entered those.

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

All of the settings I can find are shown above in those images of the router settings. I am not sure where to find the other info.

TaterBob

join:2014-01-31
Fulton, MO
reply to Sonnie

I need to set vc 8/35 edit those settings bridge and routed bridge.... You'll see the options in drop downs but first get your user Id and password

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

What are your PPPoE stiings in the router? ie: VPI/VCI, Encapsulation, IP (Dynamic/Static), MTU, Defualt Route, etc..

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

said by Sonnie:

It won't let me connect to the Internet even when going directly from the PC to the 6100.

Something is wrong.. I dont know what yet, but there is a config step missing. If you connect directly to the modem and set up your laptop to use PPPoE (set up new connection), it should get a CL IP number and connect to the net.

This should work, and work rather simply. People put routers behind modems all day long.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to toby

I told him he might have to MAC clone.. So he did. No worries.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Sonnie

Even when setting up a manual PPoE connection?

said by Sonnie:

I don't find a C1000Z anywhere.... must be outdated.

We are also hoping to get to 4Mbps eventually.

It's not outdated, they're still giving them out here in Phoenix

»www.ebay.com/itm/CenturyLink-c10···c4f1780a

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

said by Midniteoyl:

What happens if you connect the PC/laptop directly to the modem (leave it in Bridge) and set up a connection?

It won't let me connect to the Internet even when going directly from the PC to the 6100.

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to brad152

I don't find a C1000Z anywhere.... must be outdated.

We are also hoping to get to 4Mbps eventually.

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to toby

I was following the instructions... I tried it without MAC cloning and it did not work. The instructions said to clone the modem next if it did not connect... so that is what I did.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to toby

I second this, just find a C1000Z and you should be just fine (especially on a 1.5Mbps line)

Just stay away from anything Actiontec, and stick with XyXEL on weaker lines and you'll be just fine.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

2 edits
reply to Sonnie

said by Sonnie:

As luck might have it... I did manage to find the ID and password. The CTL # you gave above it the ID and I entered it with the password. Rebooted everything ... nothing. I got the MAC address of the 6100 and enabled MAC cloning and entered it in the E4200 router. Rebooted and still no Internet connection.

Why are you doing anything with MAC cloning?

You are making this very complicated for yourself.

I think the best thing for you to do it to sell or throw away the Westel modem and the Linksys router , and to buy an all in one DSL modem, router and wireless access point.

Century Link sells many of them, so does ebay.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to Sonnie

What happens if you connect the PC/laptop directly to the modem (leave it in Bridge) and set up a connection?

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Sonnie

Here are the various settings on the E4200 v2:

Sonnie

Luverne, AL
reply to Midniteoyl

As luck might have it... I did manage to find the ID and password. The CTL # you gave above it the ID and I entered it with the password. Rebooted everything ... nothing. I got the MAC address of the 6100 and enabled MAC cloning and entered it in the E4200 router. Rebooted and still no Internet connection.