uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
reply to cchhat01

Re: [Speed] SB6141 + 50/6 = Slow Speeds in Elmhurst, NY ???

Just an update.
I finally dumped RCN. Lack of backbone during peak-time got abysmal day by day.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to Vangelis

said by Vangelis :

Would it make sense to postpone your fios install to see if rcn comes thru on resolving issue?

That's what I've done. In the very least I've got another 2 weeks with RCN and then I'm thru (if they are lying).
--

Vangelis

@rcn.com
reply to cchhat01

Would it make sense to postpone your fios install to see if rcn comes thru on resolving issue?

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

This is just great. ::facepalm::
I am nearly done with RCN. I have an appointment with Verizon to install fios tomorrow morning.
And what happens now? I get a call from RCN field tech claiming that they are now installing new equipment and that the issues should be resolved within a week.
I am not sure whether this is bait and switch.

Also, for others in Elmhurst (I know you are out there), can you please chime in with your speeds.
At the moment, all my speedtest.net results point and show me at somewhere close to Buffalo, NY. (This is only recently since all my previous tests showed me at approximately in the NYC region, closer to home). Now all my tests show my closest servers are Buffalo, NY and Toronto, Canada.

If this is the case for other Elmhurst based RCN Customers, please let me know. Maybe we can all pitch in together and ascertain the validity of RCN's "Installing new equipment".

My speeds are still horrendous during evening peaktimes.
As of late, I've noticed that even though my docsis 3.0 modem bonds to 4 channels, most of the traffic is primarily on one of the channels.
Primary/Favorite channel 211: 34898576173 codewords. Others are around the 17000000000 range).

OTHERS IN ELMHURST PLEASE CHIME IN.

--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

Click for full size
slow speeds
It is still slow and getting worse...
Consistently seeing about 2-4 Mbps (thats in bits) down, which is less than 10% of advertised speeds (at 10:30PM EDT)

I hope someone in RCN is having a look.
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
reply to cchhat01

Just to provide an update.
The problem is still not fixed.
Speeds still deteriorate between 7PM and midnight.
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

Is someone thinking of taking a look here...
The past few weeks have been horrible in the weekday evening and weekends.
Yesterday my Netflix streaming took forever to recover and just kept on seeing choppy video. There is some serious capacity issues for people like me.
Please fix this soon. Just because I'm not posting on this thread doesn't mean it is no longer an issue.

Chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

Click for full size
RCN:

WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

I am getting near 3-4 mbps everywhere outside of the ny.speedtest.rcn.net (where I seem to get about 7mbps).

Nowhere close to the 50mbps.

DO SOMETHING!!! THIS IS GOING ON FOR OVER 2 MONTHS NOW!!!
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

I have filed 3 trouble tickets (with reps: Chris (he apparently didn't store a ticket number in my account), Simone: ticket #304103 and Jose: ticket #304319).

No calls returned. Nothing.
When I call them to ask them for status they say, the tickets were closed out because they [RCN] didn't see any network related problems.

My problems start after 6PM, peak around 9:30 PM and level off around midnight.
Weekends are sporadic, with sunday nights being worse.
My speeds are top notch during mornings (right now my speeds test at 49-50mbps downloads at about 10AM).
They are good during the day (around 40-45 mbps average down until 4:30-5:00 PM).
Then the sudden plunge of death JUST WHEN I COME BACK HOME from work.

PLEASE CHECK MY SPEEDTEST HISTORY FOR TIMINGS AROUND 9:30 PM.

There are two other people now reporting RCN related slowdowsn in Elmhurst.
»[Speed] [Speed] Elmhurst - Queens
and
»[Speed] [Speed] Elmhurst - Queens

RCN team. Please do something. Please help.

chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

Click for full size
modem signal (even after reboot)
Click for full size
rcn signal (showing high transmit power)
Okay now my modem is really close to losing sync...
My speedtests at the moment leave me at around 10-12mbps.

My upstream transmit power is now at 48dBm, the highest I have ever seen. Its usually around 42 (which I still consider to be a little too high).

I think I probably just need to have someone come by and look at the cabling outside.
Someone please help...

Chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to negativeduck

said by negativeduck:

I see, strange yea you shouldn't have had that happen... I put a trace on it. This happen every night?

Given that today its snowing and likely people are either working from home (or not) so will be indoors chugging down the speeds of their internet, its more realistic in explaining why my speeds are down. My area is probably not supporting the number of people on RCN now chugging down the speeds.

I just tested many times today. around 8mbps downloads around 4PM.
then around 13 and 15 mbps right now (~645 pm).

Pings are low (around 10-30ms) to many test servers on speedtest.net.

please check test history on ny.speedtest.rcn.net

THESE SPEEDS SHOULD NOT BE THE NORM... The theoretical max of 50mbps should be the norm.

chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to negativeduck

said by negativeduck:

I see, strange yea you shouldn't have had that happen... I put a trace on it. This happen every night?

And its bad again today.
Have a look at the most recent speedtest (ny.speedtest.rcn.net). downloaded 50MB in 60 seconds.
Speedtest.net speeds are nearly the same.
I'm not sure what is causing this.

Pings are relatively low. However I am just not able to see speeds anywhere close to what I should be getting. Upload has returned to the normal 5.7-5.9mbps are so thats a positive.

Please help me Bryan.

chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to negativeduck

said by negativeduck:

Bryan,

I'm not sure whats going on but this entire day my speed has been consistently in the 40 mbps (closer to my max of 50, usually around 45).
However, I just noticed my upload has started to stutter. As in it will start rising upto around 4mbps and then drop to around 2-3mbps is most speedtest. Usually the upload has always been constant around 5.7-6mbps (no issues).

I've test on speedtest.net and speakeasy.net/speedtest to new york speed test zones.

The only time I've seen the upload stutter is when you mentioned that there was a "noise" issue in the area. Not sure if something similar is going on now or if this just me. I've already rebooted the modem a couple of times along with my router and my devices.

I"ll keep tabs on the download and upload speeds throughout the day for a couple of days to see if the Download speeds have actually settled down to the 40+ mbps that I'm seeing now and also if the upload stuttering goes away.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks for looking into this.

chiggy
--

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1
reply to cchhat01

--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

negativeduck,

I know what you're saying however, during peak times (10PM) my speeds are crawling. I was barely able to download at 2mbps (thats in bits).
Have a look at my ny.speedtest.rcn.net speed history from last night (Feb 4, 2013) and you will know what I mean.

Thanks
--

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to cchhat01

negative, I was just looking and capacity is fine your signals are fine and your test history is pretty darn good. But what I noticed is that last night there was a noise issue that looks to have started around 7am. I imagine the Local operations guys were probably trying to find the source but until the noise was fixed you probably had some serious issues. It looks like it cleared up later in the evening so you should be much better.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

1 recommendation

[Speed] SB6141 + 50/6 = Slow Speeds in Elmhurst, NY ???

Click for full size
speedtest
Here's my encoded mac: b606c586313cea8b3328ae44d55accdd7b1f2832
As I've posted before many times, my speed is currently down the tubes.

I'm subscribed to the 50/6 package (internet only). During the day my speeds are mostly near 20mbps. Modem signal specs are all good.

During peak time -- as in RIGHT NOW -- speeds are usually about 15-19 mbps, a far cry from the 50 mbps that I'm subscribed to.

When we had the 25/2 mbps package it was consistently spot on the speeds. Just about the past month and a half the speeds have been abysmal (ever since we got the 50/6 package).
On top of that, each time I try to call customer care, there is 20+ minutes wait (which is a bit too much if its happening EVERY TIME that I call them).

What gives? Is it my modem's provisioning? Is it the wiring/signals? Is it that the node is saturated?

Can someone take a look.

thanks,
cchhat01
--