spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

Big deal

Everyone and his mother knew that they wouldn't be free forever. It had been stated you get it for 2 years free then you pay $2 a month. So why get mad now? You had 2 years warning. It's kind of like a kid that acts up and the parent tells them if they do it again they'll get spanked and they act up again but are yet somehow totally shocked when they get their ass beat.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Maybe Charter said that. Comcast said they would be free peiod. No timetable.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to anon anon

Premium Member

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

Everyone and his mother knew that they wouldn't be free forever. It had been stated you get it for 2 years free then you pay $2 a month. So why get mad now? You had 2 years warning. It's kind of like a kid that acts up and the parent tells them if they do it again they'll get spanked and they act up again but are yet somehow totally shocked when they get their ass beat.

Yes they should be free forever because they cost less than $5 to make and comcast is purposely making it so your TV will not work with cable anymore without the box.
Comcast should be selling them outright for $5 to $10 for those that want extra.
This is why we need government intervention that does not allow them to rent, they must sell them outright and allow 3rd party competitors to sell devices that will work.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to Zoder

Anon

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

Maybe Charter said that. Comcast said they would be free peiod. No timetable.

Actually they said 2 years.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Do you have proof of that?
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to anon anon

to anon anon
It is a big deal because this is about one thing only, Comcast's greed. Eliminating analog cable and using dirt cheap DTAs to help them do it has saved Comcast $Billions.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to anon anon

Premium Member

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

Yeah BF69,
Just like the modems Charter hands out are free, for now, but you and I know we WILL be paying for them eventually, if it isn't already hidden in the bills total. I don't know that fact for sure as I still have my own modem!

This Comcast trick is nothing new though. All cable company's are nothing but back stabbing, greedy as heck corporations!

Wolf
@comcast.net

Wolf to Sammer

Anon

to Sammer
Actually this isn't some scheme Comcast hatched. Comcast wasn't given a choice by the FCC. They were facing a federal mandate to stop analog broadcast over cable, they even managed to extend that deadline by three years. They were losing all of the air broadcast content anyway so going digital was simply inevitable. Comcast structured their deal so that they profit from it in the long run but even renting you all cable boxes for $2 a month doesn't do much to stem the cost of billions of dollars in fiber optic infrastructure for the changeover. You can bet they're still paying the cost of those improvements you're enjoying.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to cork1958

MVM

to cork1958
I guess then that I am the only other Comcast customer to be aware of this?

In my apartment complex, when the switch was being made, Comcast came out and gave us the DTAs. We were clearly told that this was free for the next two years, but that there would be a nominal monthly charge down the road.

I have no issue about anyone who decides that this charge makes Comcast service to expensive to keep...everybody has the right to vote with their wallets...but IMHO, it is a bit silly to ascribe some terrible/evil intent on Comcast's part.

I don't really care where the extra $4.00 amonth comes from (Would it be any better if it was a television service for space aliens fee?). I am only concerned about whether my total bill is acceptable to my enjoyment/usage versus cost or not, and how it compares to alternative sources price wise.
PeteC2

PeteC2 to YukonHawk

MVM

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Do you have proof of that?

Well, I will take his word for it. All 285 units at my apartment complex were informed about the eventual cost back when Comcast rolled out the DTAs.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

I guess, but I tend to be suspicious of "anon" posts.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Wolf

to Wolf
The infrastructure was already in place when Comcast built out their digital cable plant years earlier. The purpose of the digital migration was to reclaim the bandwidth used by the analog channels and use the much more efficient digital channels in their place. They needed this extra bandwidth for increasing HSI speeds and expanding VOD options. Their other option was to upgrade every plant with additional bandwidth capacity. It's estimated that buying the DTA's saved Comcast 90% over what upgrading the plant would have cost them
Zoder

Zoder to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Does your apartment complex have a contract with Comcast for service? That could explain the difference.

These DTAs were discussed frequently when the digital migrations were taking place and never was it brought up in discussions that the first two boxes would be charged for after 2 years. I don't have my letter any more from years ago but y definitely would have brought it up at the time if it had mentioned a charge 2 years out.