Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

4 edits

Webslinger to julienvf

Premium Member

to julienvf

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy and FreePhoneLine.ca not working together

said by julienvf:

Not to blame Tek for that... It used to work fine before the December outtage then on & off for the holidays and for about 2 weeks, when everyone got their issues solved, bam! No incoming calls...

VoIP makes use of random RTP ports. If the RTP range isn't forwarded (as UDP ports in the router to the ATA device) properly but a few are or only one out of the entire range is forwarded properly, then it's certainly plausible that the service may work fine on a specific ATA device at a given time--and then randomly not work at all. Consequently, I can't view what you're describing as being anything other than user error (or a faulty ATA device).

It's not as though Teksavvy or Videotron is filtering UDP ports.

If Videotron is filtering ports used by VOiP, then's that pretty brutal (but I sincerely doubt that's happening). Rogers certainly isn't.

Everything in this thread points to improperly configured ATA devices and routers.

julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf

said by Webslinger:

said by julienvf:

Not to blame Tek for that... It used to work fine before the December outtage then on & off for the holidays and for about 2 weeks, when everyone got their issues solved, bam! No incoming calls...

VoIP makes use of random RTP ports. If the RTP range isn't forwarded (as UDP ports in the router to the ATA device) properly but a few are or only one out of the entire range is forwarded properly, then it's certainly plausible that the service may work fine on a specific ATA device at a given time--and then randomly not work at all. Consequently, I can't view what you're describing as being anything other than user error (or a faulty ATA device).

It's not as though Teksavvy or Videotron is filtering UDP ports.

If Videotron is filtering ports used by VOiP, then's that pretty brutal (but I sincerely doubt that's happening). Rogers certainly isn't.

Everything in this thread points to improperly configured ATA devices and routers.

That is of course if the ATA is behind a router which failed even if plugged straight to the modem in DHCP... It registered and I wasn't even able to receive calls when plugged straight to the modem without any router or NAT nor anything blocking traffic. Problem for sure was elsewhere rather than an improper port forwarding. I just find it amazing that the same ATA + router worked #1 on Distributel cable then when brought to my customer's house on Tek cable, had that problem. Traffic was indeed routed differently.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

2 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by julienvf:

That is of course if the ATA is behind a router which failed even if plugged straight to the modem in DHCP... It registered and I wasn't even able to receive calls when plugged straight to the modem without any router or NAT nor anything blocking traffic. Problem for sure was elsewhere rather than an improper port forwarding. I just find it amazing that the same ATA + router worked #1 on Distributel cable then when brought to my customer's house on Tek cable, had that problem. Traffic was indeed routed differently.

The problem can also occur if the ATA is behind a modem that has a built in router.

Also, if I take my ATA over to someone else's house and plug straight into another modem, the ATA won't work unless I make changes to the WAN side of the ATA device (I often manually make changes).

Also ensure that NAT mapping is enabled in addition to NAT Keep Alive in the ATA device.

By the way, I just tried something, testing different codecs.
When I use the G711u codec (use preferred codec only), my phone rings fine. When I use G711a (use preferred codec only), calls go straight to voice mail. Might be something for you to test (different codecs).

This is also very important for calls:

1. RTP packet size needs to be set to 0.020 on the "SIP" tab of the ATA device. (affects phone call quality)

2. These values also need to be set in the ATA device:

a)Ring Tone Frequency: 52
b)Ring Tone Voltage: 90

But you said you already did that.

Without being there to look at your ATA settings, troubleshooting is pretty difficult.

I'm positive Teksavvy doesn't filter traffic. If Videotron does, then that's pretty bad (I have no doubt it's possible, but I still have a hard time believing they are doing that on purpose to mess up VoIP services).

Anyway, good luck.