uniqs

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa to schneks

to schneks

Re: [INTERNET] Cannot update to new version of Cogeco Security S

Did you uninstall the previous version with the Config Panel or by using the specific uninstall tool ?

Please use this tool : »ftp://uninstall-tool:unist@ftp ··· ure.com/ and wait for it to finish the uninstallation of previous versions that might have been in error/unremoved; note that the tool will reboot your computer when done in 95% of the times (when removing startup apps from the suite if they're still there)

And then reinstall the security suite.

Keep us informed how that went
schneks
join:2013-03-04
N7W 0A2

schneks to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Hi Cogeco Aaron....Someone asked you about the problem with re installing Cogeco Security. I have the same issue . It says I have conflicting program and trys to uninstall it...It works to about 75% then stops and says to do it manually...but I have no idea what the conflict is....I have talked to Cogeco, and no help so far, and to Microsoft..and still not sure what to do.....would appreciate any help

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

kittyburgers to labattman

to labattman
You'd be wrong in thinking that. It is most certainly not in Microsoft's best interest to have a flawed security product of this magnitude. That is one of the reasons they went ahead and offered Security Essentials for free, and it wasn't a moment too soon. Microsoft Security Essential is sure as hell updated more then once a month (usually at least once a day). This also happens in the background without any user intervention necessary and a minimum of resources.

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg to labattman

Anon

to labattman
said by labattman:

When you look at all the security patches Microsoft issue each month just for Windows and IE alone, I tend to think their security software would also have lots of holes that require monthly patching once reports flow in that systems have been compromised.

If you are referring to the Cogeco suite, it checks hourly for updates, and downloads and installs them in the background - much more often than MS's once a month.

I have installed the new version under Windows 8, and was pleased to find that it integrates with Windows Firewall. Unlike previous versions, it doesn't require you to set up your firewall rules separately, or to shut down Windows Firewall when running F-Secure.
labattman
join:2012-03-15
Beamsville, ON

labattman to tcauleycoge

to tcauleycoge
When you look at all the security patches Microsoft issue each month just for Windows and IE alone, I tend to think their security software would also have lots of holes that require monthly patching once reports flow in that systems have been compromised.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.

Just wanted to clarify that Cogeco Security Services is not a "free light version" but rather a custom version of their Retail Security Suite. We have the software modified (Cogeco branding, a few default settings tweaked, etc.) but the scanning engines, definition files, update cycle, etc. is all the same. There is no "up-sell" option, as you are already running a full suite.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to kewl13

Premium Member

to kewl13
said by kewl13:

I was finally able to get the update installed

Glad to hear it!
kewl13
join:2003-06-29
Burlington, ON

1 edit

kewl13 to tcauleycoge

to tcauleycoge
Nice to see that PC World just picked F-Secure as the No 1 Internet Security program. I've only heard them mentioned previously in the corporate environment.
Cogeco_Aaron, thanks very much for your help. I was finally able to get the update installed

noemails
@bell.ca

noemails to No_Strings

Anon

to No_Strings
even microsoft teamed up with bell at one point... i still have the dirext phone number to seatle for support
noemails

noemails to No_Strings

Anon

to No_Strings
thats a true comment can you imagine how much money the company bell or rogers made off referring and supporting the security software they push

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to kewl13

to kewl13
said by kewl13:

If I remember correctly in my early days of computing and using cable I think Cogeco actually offered programs such as Norton and McAfee so I assume that they feel F-Secure is more secure.

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.
kewl13
join:2003-06-29
Burlington, ON

kewl13 to got_milk2

to got_milk2
I'm surprised that several people think F-Secure is bad. The only other place I have seen it was when I worked for a big multinational corporation with a fancy pants IT dept so I would think they would know what they were doing. That time it was actually called F-Prot. I don't really trust Microsoft and for me they would be the last one's I would want for security. If I remember correctly in my early days of computing and using cable I think Cogeco actually offered programs such as Norton and McAfee so I assume that they feel F-Secure is more secure.
kewl13

kewl13 to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
Hi Aaron,
I had Googled and surfed into this forum for the first time and asked my question. I really appreciate your reply but I have been trying on and off ever since then to figure out how to PM you with the list. I couldn’t even get back into the forum to make this post but just got back in by changing the password. After trying many times I finally got back into the forum to make this post. Please let me know how to PM you and I will do it immediately.
Thanks,
Tom

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg to Cogeco_Asa

Anon

to Cogeco_Asa
Thanks for the info. I don't have anything installed at the moment, but I'll give the new version a try.

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa to M in Cobourg

to M in Cobourg
said by M in Cobourg :

When I upgraded to Windows 8, I got a message that F-Secure wasn't compatible and would be removed. I don't know if the new version is compatible, but I figured I was OK with Windows Firewall and Defender.

The new version is indeed Win8 compatible

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to M in Cobourg

to M in Cobourg
From what I heard, the newest version of Security Services IS compatible with Windows 8, you may have had the old one still installed.

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg to got_milk2

Anon

to got_milk2
When I upgraded to Windows 8, I got a message that F-Secure wasn't compatible and would be removed. I don't know if the new version is compatible, but I figured I was OK with Windows Firewall and Defender.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to kittyburgers

to kittyburgers
said by kittyburgers:

I see no reason why ones should be using anything but Microsoft Security Essentials these days.

Most people who have dealt with Microsoft's security systems like myself over the years have learned to not trust their Security systems due to how often they get hacked. Most Viruses and malware is designed and targeted for Windows based systems (mostly due to higher user base). This is also why i use Kaspersky anti-virus and Malware Bytes to keep my PC clean. My Kaspersky AV has kept me protected better than any other AV program I've ever used, and I've used a lot (AVG, Avast, Norton), I wouldn't trust any other company with my PC security.
got_milk2
join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

got_milk2 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Microsoft Security Essentials is rock solid.

Thirding this. MSE is fantastic, it runs absolutely silently in the background and takes up very few resources.

Plus, if you run Windows 8, you have MSE already (it got merged into Windows Defender which is a part of the core Windows installation).

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to kittyburgers

Premium Member

to kittyburgers
said by kittyburgers:

If I were you, I'd ditch the whole F-Secure thing that Cogeco endorses. I see no reason why ones should be using anything but Microsoft Security Essentials these days. If there's anything out there or any issue (such as false positives) your gonna hear about it on the numerous forums for sure.

Microsoft Security Essentials is rock solid.

F-Secure, on the other hand, is a piece of crap.

Mike

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

1 edit

kittyburgers to tcauleycoge

to tcauleycoge
If I were you, I'd ditch the whole F-Secure thing that Cogeco endorses. I see no reason why one should be using anything other than Microsoft Security Essentials these days. If there's anything out there or any issue (such as false positives) your gonna hear about it on the numerous forums for sure.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to tcauleycoge

Premium Member

to tcauleycoge
Sorry to hear about your experience. If you want to PM me a list of all the software that shows up under your programs, I can take a look and see what might be conflicting.

tcauleycoge
@cgocable.net

tcauleycoge

Anon

[INTERNET] Cannot update to new version of Cogeco Security Servi

Cogeco is updating their F-Secure to a newer version. I had no problem with my desktop but on my laptop I am unable to update. It is telling me that I must first uninstall other conflicting security software. It even takes me to the windows "programs and Features" box to uninstall. However I have no other security software such as an anti-virus programs etc. I called Cogeco tech suport in the hopes that they could clue me in as to which program I needed to ditch but they were of no help at all. They didn't have any suggesttions nor did they even want to hear wjat programs I had on ly laptop.
Has anyone else had this problem witht he new version? Or better yet have a solution?