spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

[Cable] Can't DHCP from router, only from laptop?

Hello everyone,

I'm helping a friend on Dupont set up his new Teksavvy cable connection, and he's having some trouble. If he plugs his laptop into the modem, he gets an address and can surf fine, but when he plugs the modem into his router, the router never gets a DHCPOFFER. Is there some MAC cloning stuff that needs to happen? This was never an issue on Cogeco, but the last time I had a Rogers cable connection was back with they were still using LANCity equipment (pre-DOCSIS), so I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:4
Cable modems can be fussy like that. Connect the router, power-cycle the modem for about 4 minutes, then once the lights on the modem stabilize, power-cycle the router or renew the DHCP lease.

squircle

Oakville, ON
Didn't work unfortunately, still not getting DHCPOFFERs. I'm trying to investigate more but I'm at a loss

moffa

join:2007-10-14
Ajax, ON

1 recommendation

reply to squircle
Plug in the laptop and do an "ipconfig /release" and then try.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
reply to RizzleQ
Power-cycling the modem isn't enough --> a "factory reset" is required to clear it's DHCP memory, if you cannot get your laptop to issue a proper DHRELEASE to it.

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by mlord:

Power-cycling the modem isn't enough --> a "factory reset" is required to clear it's DHCP memory, if you cannot get your laptop to issue a proper DHRELEASE to it.

After some struggle, this ended up working. My friend thanks you

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
No problem. I had to struggle with one of mine here earlier today, and remembered the solution from when I first set it all up years ago.