spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zaffy
join:2000-10-14
New York

zaffy

Triple Play without renting modem

I'm in the process of moving and will be opening a new Comcast account. I'd really like the X1 cable box, but I've read they'll only give it out with triple play. I have no need for a voice line, but they pretty much price you into getting triple play, so would Comcast allow me to use my own modem and just not use the voice part of the triple play?

Also, does anyone know if the X1 supports AnyRoom DVR?

thanks

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I would take the Comcast voice phone for emergencies due to the fact that the 911 systems in Massachusetts are outdated and such calls are answered by the state police dispatch who has to ascertain the location and then transfer it to the responding jurisdiction. Then you have to give the location if you want a quicker response as determining the location wastes valuable time. Landline phones (including Comcast) go straight to the responding jurisdiction with the exact location. I have a Comcast phone for my alarm system to dial out on and I do make calls on it despite having unlimited minutes on my VZW iPhone. As for me, I do have the direct dial numbers for local police departments for the cities I travel most to (such as Chicopee, Springfield, and Holyoke) in my contacts so I don't have to go through state police dispatch first. I live in Springfield.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to zaffy

to zaffy
Yes I use my own non-voice modem with Triple Play.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to zaffy

MVM

to zaffy
It can be done, but I would advocate telling them that you have an EMTA modem, just so as not to overly confuse them...if you tell them that you have a regular cable modem and are ordering triple play, it will cause more issues than not.

zaffy
join:2000-10-14
New York

zaffy

I have no need for their phone and would just be a waste of $7 a month. I'll tell them I already have a eMATA, so we'll see how that goes.

thanks for the advice

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to zaffy

Premium Member

to zaffy
said by zaffy:

they pretty much price you into getting triple play

Yup, last week was helping a non-techy (85yo) weigh his Comcast options here in Durham,NH and the promos for the TV and internet package he wanted were
6 mos TV + Internet at $96 per then rise to going rate
or
12 mos Triple Play at $108 then rise to going rate.
He comes out ahead ordering the phone, never using it, and cancelling at the 12 month mark.

Hope the little subterfuge works for ya.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by jap:

said by zaffy:

they pretty much price you into getting triple play

Yup, last week was helping a non-techy (85yo) weigh his Comcast options here in Durham,NH and the promos for the TV and internet package he wanted were
6 mos TV + Internet at $96 per then rise to going rate
or
12 mos Triple Play at $108 then rise to going rate.
He comes out ahead ordering the phone, never using it, and cancelling at the 12 month mark.

Hope the little subterfuge works for ya.

He could have used the phone as CDV is a much better deal than the telco offerings, especially in an area that has not been upgraded to FiOS. Here, I can pay $65 per month for a pots line through Verizon or get CDV at a much cheaper price as part of a bundle.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to zaffy

to zaffy
Last week I called Comcast and pressed the button to cancel service so that I could talk to a Retention Rep. I said I didn't want to cancel but that I would like to buy a Zoom modem and stop paying the 7 bucks for renting. They said yes, BUT that I would then be charged for the Arris EMTA. So either way they got ya by the nuts!

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You assume he needs or wants a fixed line service. Not the case.
jap

jap to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Last week I called Comcast and pressed the button to cancel service so that I could talk to a Retention Rep. I said I didn't want to cancel but that I would like to buy a Zoom modem and stop paying the 7 bucks for renting. They said yes, BUT that I would then be charged for the Arris EMTA. So either way they got ya by the nuts!

Wait, I don't understand. You're renting the Arris eMTA now, you want to replace it with your own and return the Arris to them, right?

So what does "then be charged for the Arris EMTA" mean? Swapping your owned device in should be fine and save you the rental. Please clarify as I am in the midst of helping several people lower their costs.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

1 edit

NightOwl2

Because: Comcast only charges one modem rental fee( when phone and hsi). That has been part of the confirmation close for years. Such as, if you currently rent your cable modem, there is no extra charge for the EMTA. If you own your cable (edit-modem), a $.... charge will apply for the EMTA.

Tobin
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

There is no item in my bill for a rental modem or eMTA despite having Triple Play. Instead I have the usual "owned modem" line with a charge of $0.00.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to NightOwl2

to NightOwl2
That''s exactly right NightOwl
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to Tobin

to Tobin
Yes, you said a non-voice modem. I'm assuming that you are not using the phone portion of the triple play? Many older customers do not have a computer but get the TPlay, (through various providers) for cost, as do consumers who are not using the phone. If you rent an EMTA, in many packages, there is a charge. Same with certain packages, (again, all providers) might include AnyRoom, Whole Room, etc. DVR equipment/or outlet fee, HD, in the cost.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap to zaffy

Premium Member

to zaffy
Oh, I understand Comcast is going to insist you have MTA-capability hardware if you're "paying for" voice service (AKA milking the Triple Play promos) so put your own modem w/ embedded MTA on the line. They run ~$90 new, 50-70 used for the basic models on Comcast's approved list. Still come out ahead. Get a model with adequate channel bonding expansion capacity as that's what limits service life & resale value as providers continue to increase bonding.

I hope I'm not still missing something in this discussion. I'm a great believer in not pissing away money on rentals but also cannot be giving my clients bad advice.

.... edit: Tobin See Profile, please verify your modem is MTA capable. I'm assuming either that or the CustServRep looked the other way.

Tobin
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

said by jap:

.... edit: Tobin See Profile, please verify your modem is MTA capable. I'm assuming either that or the CustServRep looked the other way.

Like the OP, I subscribe to Triple Play, but don't use the phone service. I currently use my own Cisco DPC3008, which isn't an (E)MTA. Perhaps the CSR at the local Comcast office looked the other way, but I was definitely able to get the $7 recurring charge removed from my plan while also retaining my Triple Play discount.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to zaffy

Anon

to zaffy
No if you subscribe to voice they are going to give you voice, there are legalities involving 911 with that. If your modem does not do voice then you will have to lease one that does, if your modem does do voice and IS a supported device you may have your answer, but you will pay a lot more for an eMTA than a modem.