share rss forum feed

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Eddy120876

Re: Fios TV Xbox 360 - Demonstration

said by Eddy120876:

This would be the ultimate Fios Box if you didn't have to pay for live. Once live allows you to watch for free Fios would be the ultimate app for the Xbox

The Ultimate app for Retro TV watching?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

I have turned in all my FIOS boxes and turned all of my Xboxes (5 of them) into full media extenders. I use W7MC for DVR (it actually runs in a VM), and through gold I get Amazon, Youtube, Vevo, Netflix, etc. I use Family pack (4 simultaneous) and paid $65 for it last year which works out to a little more than $1 per month per box. I couldn't find any deal that even approaches that low cost.

On top of that, the kids can play games on them and IF I happen to rent a movie from Redbox, I throw the DVD in there.

Also, mediabrowser ties in all my media so I can watch all my ripped movies, pics, and music anywhere.

I found that wireless just doesn't work for hi-def streams, so I'm fully wired 4 ethernet, 2 coax/Moca and this works 100%.

The only thing missing is Pandora for me, but last.fm is decent. If I really need pandora, I simply plug any of my phones/pads into the stereo aux and away we go.

All in all my bill for ultimate/50/25 is $102 which is competitive. TW is the alternative, however they force ugly SDV in my area and the knowledge on that box and support is non-existent. Pricing there is competitive.

BTW - I bought all of my xbox 360s refurbished and didn't pay above $120 for one, so you do have to factor in cost of those devices, BUT unlike STB rental these actually have resell value. I can easily get over $100 for an xbox, so at this point (some are two years old) my cash loss is approaching $1 a month.

BTW - I have the FIOS app on there for grins. It works pretty well, however since I hate commercials and W7MC is superior I don't really use it. Also, if I have W7MC running, why take up IP channel bandwidth when I can use the broadcast feed.

HTH.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

Do you use Silicon Dust, Ceton or something else to decode the Verizon Video stream? That is also part of the cost.

I have a Silicon Dust 6CC and think it is great. Once the new facility works with DLNA, it will really expand my TV watching possibilities. Actually, I am not sure that is a good thing .

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to elefante72

Elefante72 what exactly is W7MC? explain more?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

W7MC = Windows 7 Media Center
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···a-center
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to aaronwt

Retro Tv? wait now is retro when we never use a gaming system as a set top box. You know you own no renting or paying a telco for that.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to elefante72

I just wish that Fios would allow this on the Apple tv. I would save me space on my media shelve. Yes I do have and Xbox and a WiiU but no Fios on my street yet but that sounds like a deal .

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to OwlSaver

I use a Silicondust 3CC--3 tuner. I paid $200 but they really havent lost much value. I still use my HDHR for broadcast channels. The solution has been working for over 2 years so the money I put in has more than paid off for leasing and avoiding roku.

I'm interested to see how te dlna comes about and maybe we start seeing some interesting ip boxes. I won't hold my breath tho drm is going to be a biatch..

Setting up w7mc and the funky rdp that msft uses is no easy task.

The only thing tat I see out there that can compete for the plug and play crowd is TiVo. They will be coming out with ip boxes in a few months. The bad is they will charge monthly service fee. If its more than 4 dollars its a rip. TiVo also has work to do because they lock tuners so I heard to do replay. I did love my directtivos tho...