All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
veriphone
join:2011-01-29

veriphone

Questions for Cogeco Beta Testers

I was presented with the great opportunity to Beta Test Congeco cable services in my area. Thanks Marc.
Would like to hear from others who have done this before or are doing it now. I am on the 5M/800K DSL connection at the moment. Do you guys disconnect your current connection and jump into the Cogeco cable world? I am a bit concerned mainly because of so many problems I have seen people having recently when switching to Rogers. If after paying all the fees and charges, buy a new cable modem, etc. to set up the new cable connection for some reason it doesn't perform as expected and I have already disconnected my DSL, it may turn out to be an expensive testing exercise on my part just to get back to what I have now....
Anyhow...while I greatly appreciate the opportunity to be among the first to taste Cogeco cable I hope I don't end up with a lot of money out of pocket and end up with the same connection I have now....
Would appreciate comments from people who are already in this process. It'll help me decide...
Thanks.
petecool
join:2011-09-22
Calgary, AB

petecool

5M DSL is what, 30$ or so? + Dryloop maybe?

I would run both for a month or two, should be plenty of time to figure out if it works fine If it works the first day, it should keep on working! I wouldn't hesitate, 5M is way too slow... Once you go faster, you can't go back!
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

said by petecool:

5M is way too slow... Once you go faster, you can't go back!

It's so true... After getting a TekSavvy Cable line in one of the locations I'm often in (for the record, I subscribe to 18/0.5 but actually get about 30/1.2), it saddens me to have to reduce back to that old DSL connection. Although I must admit... It does work. It's just not the same.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to veriphone

Premium Member

to veriphone
said by veriphone:

Anyhow...while I greatly appreciate the opportunity to be among the first to taste Cogeco cable I hope I don't end up with a lot of money out of pocket and end up with the same connection I have now....

As long as TSI is able to manage the capacity between them and Cogeco and are able to get upgrades when needed the service would be exactly like if you had Cogeco cable. The setup of Cogeco cable would be completely different from how the rogers setup has been, which is where the majority of cable complaints have been because when a POI link was almost at max capacity everyone on that POI would be slowed down.

Since the Cogeco setup uses an aggregated POI vs the current Rogers disaggregated POI setup you will be entirely on the Cogeco network up until the point that is connects to the TekSavvy network.