Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Cho Baka

Re: catalytic converter? P0240

yeah it was p0420 got it rechecked had two entries on it. going to change out the sensor first to see if it fixes that. Since it's way cheaper then paying $1200 to replace it with a factory catalytic converter

New state law requires factory down to the exact model and production code. Other wise automatic fail.

If it was the catalytic converter I would be getting more codes besides the P0420

CEL was tripped when behind a diesel bus that was pouring out smoke.. assuming it was sucking craptastic air from the truck which caused it to trip .

and caused higher emissions from the car = CEL

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
said by Anonymous_:

If it was the catalytic converter I would be getting more codes besides the P0420

What makes you think that? Your assumption in this case is wrong. P0420 is very often a stand-alone code, and requires no other associated failures to enable it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
I was behind a bus that was pouring out a lot of smoke, when the CEL came on.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Anonymous_:

You were behind a smoking bus *twice* to make it come on? You said you already had the code cleared once. And, that's a virtually impossible scenario to cause that code anyway.

What sensor do you plan on replacing on a blind guess? Upstream or downstream? I really don't understand why people want to come up with every reason under the sun why this code sets. There is a converter failure code so you want to replace the oxygen sensor. If a code sets for an cylinder #4 misfire, are you going to replace a headlamp?

I'm being straight here--- BOTH related-bank oxygen sensors MUST BE operating properly for this failure code to occur. The computer is measuring exhaust oxygen content BOTH before AND after the catalyst to determine its efficiency. A malfunctioning O2 sensor strictly prevents this diagnostic cycle from running, and will set a SENSOR failure code, NOT a catalyst code. There are no "false positives" here.

I will add that the best course of repair is proper diagnosis. Get the system tested, preferably by a shop that can scope the components to get the correct picture. Like I said, very high percentage its the converter. Oxygen sensor failure is very rare.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by mattmag:

said by Anonymous_:

You were behind a smoking bus *twice* to make it come on? You said you already had the code cleared once. And, that's a virtually impossible scenario to cause that code anyway.

What sensor do you plan on replacing on a blind guess? Upstream or downstream? I really don't understand why people want to come up with every reason under the sun why this code sets. There is a converter failure code so you want to replace the oxygen sensor. If a code sets for an cylinder #4 misfire, are you going to replace a headlamp?

I'm being straight here--- BOTH related-bank oxygen sensors MUST BE operating properly for this failure code to occur. The computer is measuring exhaust oxygen content BOTH before AND after the catalyst to determine its efficiency. A malfunctioning O2 sensor strictly prevents this diagnostic cycle from running, and will set a SENSOR failure code, NOT a catalyst code. There are no "false positives" here.

I will add that the best course of repair is proper diagnosis. Get the system tested, preferably by a shop that can scope the components to get the correct picture. Like I said, very high percentage its the converter. Oxygen sensor failure is very rare.

I'll just wait tell I need to do the smog test (you bet I going to clear the code before I get the test done)

if it passes then it's a faulty SENSOR. if it fails I get it fixed
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by Anonymous_:

What makes you think that? Your assumption in this case is wrong. P0420 is very often a stand-alone code, and requires no other associated failures to enable it.

exactly, like i just posted, faulty cats threw that code on my both grand prix. same car as the impala, and those were the only codes i had