All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Maedros
join:2008-04-01

Maedros

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooow in kitchener...AGAIN

whats going on? lately, evenings have been horrendously slow. POI's overlaoded? I've noticed it getting worse, the last couple weeks.

tonight, i can't even watch 5 seconds of a youtube clip, or any streams.

also, dat ping.

WTF is going on:

»i.imgur.com/2dj2RAf.png

5 minutes later:

»i.imgur.com/QVurHmz.png

also, during the day, it's fine, get nearly 30mb/s, and full upload, and 15ms ping. evenings, it fluctuates all over.
Maedros

Maedros

oh yeah:

»i.imgur.com/hSSAmZY.png

Tracing route to tsi.teksavvy.com [206.248.155.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms unknown [192.168.1.1]
2 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms 10.125.108.1
3 11 ms 11 ms 13 ms gw01.mtth.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.89.3
3]
4 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms kitchener1.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.38]
5 96 ms 95 ms 96 ms kitchener4.cable.teksavvy.com [24.52.255.65]
6 93 ms 88 ms 91 ms 2120.ae0.agg01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.77]

7 105 ms 101 ms 101 ms 206.248.155.237
8 110 ms 107 ms 110 ms 206.248.155.70

Trace complete.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

Four basic possibilities:

1) POI
2) Node
3) Line
4) Random insanity

We can try to rule out the first 3. Can you post your line stats? Odds are this has nothing to do with it since you get good daytime speeds but might as well check. As for POI and node...if it's POI, every Teksavvy customer on that POI will be having similar issues. I don't think that's the case, but someone from Tek can check into it. For Node, the only way to tell is to ask neighbors on cable internet to check their speeds at peak hours...if it's node, odds are at least some of them will be experiencing similar issues.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Maedros

Premium Member

to Maedros
I just posted here: »Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

So #4 then.

Still, what this customer is experiencing sounds pretty severe...possibly more than one thing going on.
Maedros

Maedros

said by The Mongoose:

So #4 then.

Still, what this customer is experiencing sounds pretty severe...possibly more than one thing going on.

I've complained several times in the past about ridiculous ping times, and I've run tests to show, and produced the evidence, yet it's always ignored. Last night was at an all time low, I literally couldn't use the internet browser for any media at all. Hobby of mine, online gaming, not possible the last few evenings with an extra 150 ms ping. Line levels are all ok, I've been on the phone with tech support several times in the past, and we've all gone over everything multiple times.

Kitchener had similar problems about a year-ish ago, the POI was severely overloaded, and they needed to put a stop-sell in place. Once they upgraded the links, it was resolved, except certain peak times, you'd notice a little bit of a hit. Now, it's terrible in peak times.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by Maedros:

said by The Mongoose:

So #4 then.

I've complained several times in the past about ridiculous ping times, and I've run tests to show, and produced the evidence, yet it's always ignored. Last night was at an all time low, I literally couldn't use the internet browser for any media at all. Hobby of mine, online gaming, not possible the last few evenings with an extra 150 ms ping. Line levels are all ok, I've been on the phone with tech support several times in the past, and we've all gone over everything multiple times.

Kitchener had similar problems about a year-ish ago, the POI was severely overloaded, and they needed to put a stop-sell in place. Once they upgraded the links, it was resolved, except certain peak times, you'd notice a little bit of a hit. Now, it's terrible in peak times.

We had some pretty severe issues on my POI (Dupont) a couple of times. The first time it actually wasn't TSI's links at fault, but rather Rogers' CMTS. The second time it was just old-fashioned congestion, and there were serious delays getting the upgrades installed.

The kind of pings you're describing probably could be caused by the backhaul issue...but I'm not sure how likely it is that this is the only problem. Doesn't sound like most users affected are suffering nearly as much. Best advice I can give is to wait until the backhaul loading is resolved and see if it solves the problem.

In the meantime, you can push this in the direct forums, but if you're not getting any traction I don't think anyone would blame you for trying out a different provider. If, for example, you switched to Start, you'd be off the Kitchener POI and the TSI backhauls. If the problem persists, you'll know for sure it's Rogers/your node.

Trystart
@start.ca

Trystart to Maedros

Anon

to Maedros
Have a look at start communications. I was having really slow speeds with TS, switched over to start and been full rate since (45/4 mbit). May switch back to TS when they get aggregated, but for now much faster speeds on start.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Maedros

to Maedros
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to Maedros

to Maedros
I'm currently seeing slow speeds on the KW POI.

Can't stream netflix at high bitrates either, even though, technically it seems like I should have the bandwidth. Can't pull the 7 mbit stream, and the auto settingi s giving me the 1750 kbit video stream.

tonytoronto
join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON

1 edit

tonytoronto to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose
Not sure if this related, but on the Dupont poi i'm seeing all sorts of weird stuff and looooong pings. Online playing not possible and voip going nuts. All stats on modem look good. Kids are getting pissed from lack of playing
Maedros

Maedros

seriously, still?

wtf, why am i getting all this extra ping, when I normally get about 40-50ms less?

I HAD 410 MS PING SPIKES TODAY FOR OVER 30 MINUTES. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN/ADDRESS THIS?
Maedros

Maedros

Tracing route to tsi.teksavvy.com [206.248.155.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms unknown [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 7 ms 9 ms 10.125.108.1
3 14 ms 13 ms 11 ms gw01.mtth.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.89.3
3]
4 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms kitchener1.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.38]
5 63 ms 65 ms 63 ms kitchener4.cable.teksavvy.com [24.52.255.65]
6 59 ms 62 ms 59 ms 2120.ae0.agg01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.77]

7 67 ms 67 ms 67 ms 206.248.155.237
8 70 ms 70 ms 72 ms 206.248.155.70

Trace complete.
Maedros

Maedros

the fuck is going on?

really?

so it was ok for a week or so there, after the upgrades or whatever, then here we are, right back up to an additional 100m/s ping in peak times.

that didnt take long at all.

stay classy teksavvy

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Maedros

Premium Member

to Maedros
I did notice that the browser felt very slow last night at home, and my VPN connection/RDP session to a client was not performing well either. It felt like it keep dropping and picking up again but Windows didn't go so far as to say the connection was completely lost.
HungryTenor
join:2012-06-27
Kitchener, ON

HungryTenor to Maedros

to Maedros
Seeing the same thing, even occasionally now (around 10 AM). Things are fine, things are fine, massive slowness and 5 second pings, things are fine...
Maedros

Maedros

4.5mb download on speedtest.net tonight! noticed when I couldn't watch youtube.

Ping seems OK tonight though.

Odd.

& last night at this time I was getting 70ms of extra ping.
b3l
join:2009-02-28
Toronto, ON

1 edit

b3l

Same problem here. Streaming has been impossible, especially in the evening. Except I'm in Toronto, not Kitchener.

Packet Loss
Packet Loss
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Guelph, ON

Packet Loss to Maedros

Premium Member

to Maedros
Holy smoke....

MONTREAL southshore - »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2721.png
Neo6
join:2012-03-16

Neo6

Montreal here too. Vent+online gaming is unplayable, ping in the thousands. What the hell is going on? I almost never have any problems with Teksavvy.

TekSavvyUser
@teksavvy.com

TekSavvyUser

Anon

Yeah...there was some slowdown at about 4:30pm till what, 5:30-6:00pm? Everything seems speedy and back to normal now. All this while in the mist of a price hike. Quebec pricing seems to be so inflated. I can't help but feel robbed.

Packet Loss
Packet Loss
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Guelph, ON

Packet Loss to Maedros

Premium Member

to Maedros
AGAIN!

Started like about 10min ago, 5:23PM... 0.50 Mbps Down rate...
Maedros

2 edits

Maedros

Yeah, normal, huh?

Teksavvy, you need to come out and say wtf is going on. This is been happening on and off for weeks/months now.

Ping times, up and down, speeds, up and down.

Only going to get worse within the next hour or so:

Maedros

Maedros

Comparison, to mid-day (2:00 PM)
oxfordwhite
join:2008-01-28
Kitchener, ON

oxfordwhite

I notice similar issues in KW. We have both Rogers and TSI. Both suffer in the evening with TSI suffering the most esp for streaming.

Since I do not have TV, watching a programme on like ctv, citytv, cbc, global have some buffering issues. I have had short choppy sound from a few radio streams but they usually even out.

Nagilum
Premium Member
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

Nagilum to Maedros

Premium Member

to Maedros
I've noticed the same trend. Steam downloads cap at about 300-400kB/s in the evening but full speed in the afternoon. This is on 28/1 cable service.

thedevnull
@teksavvy.com

thedevnull

Anon

said by Nagilum:

I've noticed the same trend. Steam downloads cap at about 300-400kB/s in the evening but full speed in the afternoon. This is on 28/1 cable service.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue... evenings are terrible and streaming tonight seems like a pipe dream.

What good is 28/1 if you can only get sufficient speeds while you're not at home to enjoy it?
mgarraway
Premium Member
join:2011-01-05
Kitchener, ON

mgarraway

Premium Member

Confirming that my evenings have also gotten super slow over the last week or two, kitchener poi. currently averaging around 4Mb down, on a 28/1 connection.
Maedros

Maedros

WTF is going on. since last nights down time, my internet's been shaky.

I just did a speed test when i was spiking between 30-999 ms ping in World of Tanks.

yeah, WTF? REALLY?|
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

something seriously wrong on Dupont POI right now too