Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Java 7 Update 11 blocked again?

»appleinsider.com/article ··· e-system

Came across this item saying Apple has blocked JRE again but I just checked and it is still working for me. I'd ditch JRE all together but a few of my customers like Alcoa use Oracle and their vendor accounts payable reporting site (eg Alcoadirect daut kaum) requires Java runtime.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Came across this item saying Apple has blocked JRE again but I just checked and it is still working for me. I'd ditch JRE all together ......

I have Java disabled in Safari, the only browser I have. But despite what that article says, I too have Java active on my system.
Bob$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

Is this a security issue?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
On my Linux laptop, I run the latest Chromium(Open source part of Chrome without Google's cruft and Spyware), which uses the latest version of Apple's Webkit rendering engine. I set it to disable and ask for Javascript and same for plugins, then I have the option to whitelist trusted sites. Then I have NotScript to control scripts within the page from other domains. Its limitation is it can't stop scripts until it loads the main page(because of how webkit's rendering works), but that's where my defaults for Plugins and Javascript come into play. So, I get to use Java for what I need, without exposing my plugin to the world. Even simpler in Firefox with noscript, but I love Webkit. You'd be surprised how many sites you can just keep everything blocked, long as you aren't navigating through them. I almost never have to do anything to view links from here or Google.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

TamaraB

Premium Member

I don't think Java Script is the problem. Java is. I have Java totally disabled and the only thing I ever have to enable it for are the tests here on BBR.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Javascript often is used to load such applets within a page and can also be used maliciously. Blocking both it and plugins unless you say yes is a good way to harden your browser against having vulnerabilities in the engine or plugins exploited, as is sandboxing.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
I always keep my Java updated to the most recent version.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

11 is the latest version isn't it...it's the one they just pushed out during the last debacle.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Actually the outrage is that Apple did this with no warning. Just the press of a key and hundreds of thousands of web sites that rely on Java were disabled. Nice work, Apple!

If they had at least given people a notice that it was going to happen on day XX/XX/XX, at XX:XX pm, it would have allowed people to prepare for it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

They're looking out for own users.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON