Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

[WIN8] can't make an ISO

Click for full size
I tried to create an ISO from one of my Win8 DL, and the above is what I got. Any idea on what's wrong and how to fix it?

PC: Dell Optiplex 745, 8 Gig RAM, 120 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, freshly installed Vista Business 64 bit.

TIA

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim

MVM

Read what it says.

You might want to download and install imgBurn.com use it

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I was at first going to suggest using another image burn program as well, but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Looking again at the OP's post a bit more deeply, I see that the OP is running Windows Vista. (bold added by me)
said by aurgathor:

PC: Dell Optiplex 745, 8 Gig RAM, 120 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, freshly installed Vista Business 64 bit.

It appears that the OP is trying to upgrade Vista Business 64 bit to Windows 8, using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. During that process, one of the options appears to allow the end user the option to burn a copy of Windows 8 from an iso file (in this case called Windows.iso) to DVD before the upgrade takes place.

The error message tells me that during that process, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant was not able to burn that ISO.

I feel the OP's question is why did the error happen during the running of the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. Some things that come to mind

• The actual DVD burner installed is not supported by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

• The file "Windows.iso" had a problem when it was being downloaded to the OP's system, which caused it not be able to be written to the DVD (corrupt file).

Unfortunately, I have never used the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, so I am just guessing at this point based on what they have said. But, I hope that with my explanation it may help the OP get the answer they are looking for (that is, if my assumptions written above are correct).

--Brian

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I guess I need to be a bit more verbose.

I figured that the $40 offer is just too hard to pass, so I decided that I'll get another license.

Upon completion of the DL there are 3 options: one is installing Win8 (I don't want that), another one is to create an ISO that I can burn to a DVD, and I can't remember the 3rd. (I can post another screenshot later)

Because this license is for a yet to be determined later use, I obviously want the ISO option, but it does not work as per attached image. For the time being I just ghost-ed the whole partition, so at worst I can go from Vista Business to Win8. I had to use Vista because I couldn't find my Win7 DVD.

I did some googling on that error, and sometimes it's a COM related error, so I'll try to apply SP1 and all updates to Vista -- that may just fix it.

But I should not need Imgburn or a DVD-writer (there's actually one in that machine) to accomplish the create ISO operation.

TIA
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I had a similar problem. Installed CDBurner XP and burned a bootable DVD of the Windows ISO. It booted fine and was used to do a clean install of W8 onto an empty Hard Drive.

You might want to try again with that burning program.

If your problem was in the ISO creation process, I've got no answer as what to do to correct that.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Resolved. I installed SP1, SP2, and all the patches from Windowsupdate, and the create ISO functionality works fine now.

BTW, Vista is surprisingly decent.