Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca

Re: Router speeds vs Modem Speeds

said by rocca:

Unfortunately many less expensive or older routers aren't capable of handling the full speeds (ie their CPU maxes out). I recently picked up an Asus RT-N66U and it's excellent, others have reported good results with the less expensive RT-N16.

My trusty Linksys WRT54GL is just fine at 20/1.5 and also was at 30/2 prior to that, when I was on retail Cogeco service.

I was shopping for a newer router and discovered that I did not NEED one.

That was with the latest factory firmware, though I switched to Tomato later for its QoS features.

I currently have the QoS disabled, but just updated to latest Shibby build #105 (Jan 23, 2013), and will be trying QoS again soon.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by Davesnothere:

My trusty Linksys WRT54GL is just fine at 20/1.5 and also was at 30/2 prior to that, when I was on retail Cogeco service.

I was shopping for a newer router and discovered that I did not NEED one.

I was running speed tests through a Start.ca Cable connected WRT54GL earlier today, and it was handling Speedboost at 50mbits/sec just fine, and had no troubles keeping up with a 35/3 connection and beyond.

That's with QoS turned off in the Tomato firmware. I imagine it might slow down if one was running heavy torrents or something directly from the LAN behind it, rather than via a VPN tunnel running on a PC, but..

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

yeah, my WRT54GS v7 is doing fine with the 45/4 speeds. i had a much older WRT54G (not sure which version) years ago that had trouble with the 50mbit from Rogers on the WAN.