Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ASuarez27

Re: [Cable] New home wireing

Yeah, -14dB is a lot of loss.

Why not use a 3_way @ -3.5 / -7.0 / -7.0dB: One -7db connected to your modem (should be good) and the other connected to your strongest HD TV or Gateway/media server STB.

The -3.5dB leg gets connected to a 4_way @ -7.0dB.
Then you only have -10.5 dB on each of the remaining 4 lines.

That's how I would do it in order to give the best signal to all outlets based on priority. That's my job, that's what I do.

Won't the cable company come back and take care of that for you?
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

That's pretty dumb that they cut every single cable wire in your house bfore they sold the house to you. Had I bought a house knowing this, I would have negociated the price of the house to reflect this. You can easily knock a grand or more off the asking price because of the labour required to run these from a professional contractor could easily be up in the hundreds, this labour includes fishing wires much like your neighbours house, not simply staplign them to the baseboards like your cable company wants to do.

The next thing i would do is run each wire to a central location in your house, most commonly the hydro electric panel in your basement. make sure you run a grounding block wire from the local water coper pipe also so your cable system is grounded. Secondly, i would put a 2 way splitter as the first split from the cable company feed. (3-way unbalanced splitter if your using cable home phone)
The second leg of the first splitter will then go into a drop amp which will give a 7-12 db boost to compensate for the a 6-way splitter which will give a 12db loss. this will give you enough and equal signal at all digital boxes and have enough upstream for your services such as VOD and SDV to correctly work, and your modem will be unaffected by problems since it has its own split.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!