spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

[CCNA] picking out books for ccn and obtaining IOS software

Guys I would like to ask you all about picking up a text book to accompany the cbtnuggets and train signal training that I have. I already have the below text books but they are not current for example one book is the second edition and the command guide is the first edition. Will these be ok or should I get some new books basically what all am I missing out on by not having the latest and greatest books also what books would you guys suggest? Now the second part of this post is where can I acquire Cisco IOS images I've heard that the images are free for the access points and switches? I assume I can purchase a support contact to get the images but does that give me access to all router images or is it just for that one specific model?

»www.amazon.com/Command-Reference···87131595

»www.amazon.com/CCNA-Self-Study-I···87051427

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

1 edit

For CCNA exam prep hardware purchase, good old ebay is always a lot of people's resources. Look for 1841 routers and 2960/3560 switches equipped with IP Services IOS images, then you should be good to go

As for books, Lammle's I think is still what people go with. Amazon and its reviews is a good start point.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to watts3000

Command Reference is just that... it's just the commands. It doesn't give you (much) of a context.
I haven't worked with the Self Study Guide series personally, but overall, I wouldn't limit myself
in terms of reference / study material -- ie. if you can afford it, get the full NA study and lab books
from Cisco Press.

said by watts3000:

where can I acquire Cisco IOS images I've heard that the images are free for the access points and switches? I assume I can purchase a support contact to get the images but does that give me access to all router images or is it just for that one specific model?

IIRC, full IOS images for AP and switches still fall under smartnet and are SPECIFIC to what is put
under your CCO ID. "Free" switch software, if that, wouldn't be likely unless it were a SMALL
BUSINESS series device.

My 00000010 bits.

Regards

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to watts3000

I agree with aryoba that Lammles book is probably the best. I prefer his writing style to that of Wendell Odom who wrote the Cisco Press CCNA books. I know style shouldn't matter over content but when you're reading what is a pretty dry subject (even though we are all keen for it) it can make a big difference to your learning experience.
The Command reference is great for having in your tool bag for those commands that just don't spring to mind or when you're putting the question mark in the wrong exec level!

If you join a CCNA class, either on line or at a training academy (I hesitate to use the phrase boot camp) I suspect Cisco IOS's will be... er... "available for testing and evaluation / educational purposes..."
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

Delco24

join:2004-02-15
Cary, NC
reply to watts3000

All downloads on CCO are now restricted to only what is in your support contract.