how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

farmer

join:2013-02-01
Hope, RI

long distance wireless

I just set up a FIOS account (tv, phone internet) in a new home on our farm and want to be able to have wireless access from our greenhouse which is about 750' away from the house. Verizon installed an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E router which only gets me about 100' outside the house.
All of the networking jargon confuses the daylights out of me. Can anyone suggest if and how I could do this?
Many thanks.

P.S. I also posted on the fios forum

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Ubiquiti has proven very good for me. Have a look at this comparison.

»ubnt.ca/index2.php?option=com_wr···temid=56

Keep in mind that the "low throughput" devices on that page are capable of ~50 Mbps of sustained throughput, and the "high throughput" about double that.

At 750', the low range products will do fine if you have line of sight.

So essentially, you need to pick the radio that will work for you, get a pair of them, and set up a bridge between your two locations.
--
db

farmer

Hope, RI

I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge in this realm.
What do you mean by "set up a bridge between your two locations"?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Buy two outdoor radios. A pair of the Ubiquitis, for example. One connects to the LAN port on the router and is mounted to the outside of the structure, pointed at the other radio.

The second radio is mounted to the second structure and is configured to connect to the first, much like a laptop connecting to a wireless router. The network cable of the second radio plugs into a router or access point in the greenhouse, and the clients there connect to that AP. The two UBNT radios form a bridge between the two routers, much like a virtual cable.
--
db

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to farmer

Is this for a single PC or laptop? If so I have used this Wi-Fire device out to a 1000 feet with good results...

»www.hfield.com/

»Re: Need to boost my laptop so it can get signal.

farmer

Hope, RI
reply to clarknova

So, in addition to the Verizon router I have at the new house, I also have a Buffalo Airstation WHR-G125 which I'm using in my current setup with Cox. Unlike the Verizon model, this broadcasts at least half the distance from the greenhous to the house.
So this could stay in the greenhouse and be connected to one of the "radios" while the other radio is connected to the ZV router in the house.
Have I got it right?
Any possible comflicts you think I should be mindful of?
Thanks

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB

That's right. If you have good line of sight then better to use 5GHz radios to avoid interfering with the routers.
--
db