share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to I AM

Re: [News Flash] Valve sued by German consumer group

True, but what's the technical reason for not being able to remove a title from said account and transfer ownership?

It's not a problem with the technology. It's a problem with the legal system and profit-centric goals and laws in the USA and other places.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

Second message to consumer: Just because you used to be able to do something in the past doesn't make it your God-given fundamental right forever and ever in every similar situation.

Things change.

Yes, and change is always for the better, right?

Bad laws SHOULD be opposed and re-written.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

Thats another thing, will this make steam do away with the weekend deals, holiday deals and the "play for free untill bla bla" or maybe think of doing something different?

Where's the logic in that? They'll do it out of spite? Sales, deals, bundles are all there for a different reason: To drive sales and revenue. Just because consumers could transfer titles to others doesn't suddenly mean that now they'll not be interested in selling more licenses and making more profits. Logical fallacy.
--

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

I love Germans. I miss living there.

They have a very strong pro-consumer approach and aren't afraid to sue the big players.

Sounds like their Government hasn't been bought out and co-opted by Corporations.... at least, not yet.
--

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

Yes, and change is always for the better, right?

Bad laws SHOULD be opposed and re-written.

You notice my comments lacked any value judgement of any kind; I wasn't saying it's good or bad. Just that the status quo has changed.

And I fail how "bad laws" have anything to do with the Valve terms of service, unless you're in favor of even more regulation on every minute aspect of our lives.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Yes, because we all know that fair consumer laws mean regulation on every minute aspect of our lives.

Am I in favor of regulations that curtail the abusive corporate goals of extracting every penny consumers have while giving them zero ownership or control over items they pay for? Absolutely.
--

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

Never mind, I forgot who you are until I read your signature. Have a nice day.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Uh huh. You too. I mean that very sincerely.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

me1212: true, but because of how the justice system is built in Germany, judges are muuuuuuuch more pro-consumer over there. Lawsuits are not about theatrics and legal strategies involving the abuse of judicial loops and holes. Judges do not tolerate that over there, it's a lot more rigid and a lot more strict. Which is no surprise to anyone I am sure since we're talking about the country that started both World Wars.

I wish the Germans nothing but success in this suit.

Then why is Uwe Boll still allowed to make movies?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

You got me on that one

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to diablo1892

One thing I would like for Steam to implement is a refund system, especially for games without demo versions. Google's Play Store has a time-restricted refund system that works fairly well.

I recently had to pirate a copy of Borderlands 2 to even see if my laptop would run it. Wasn't going to throw away $60 on something that I could possibly not run. Now if they had a time limited refund (starting after the download finishes) there would have not been a need to pirate in the first place.

Otherwise I love Steam and how they have things set up. As for the used game bit, I am happy the way things are. It's nice having the large library of games built over the years and being able to go back and play a classic. And considering for the most part I make game purchases on the big sales, I wouldn't be making much money back to begin with. About the only thing I can see worth pursuing is license transfers to friends.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by Vchat20:

I recently had to pirate a copy of Borderlands 2 to even see if my laptop would run it. Wasn't going to throw away $60 on something that I could possibly not run. Now if they had a time limited refund (starting after the download finishes) there would have not been a need to pirate in the first place.

I feel positive about this.. My computer runs just about every game the way it should except maybe a few but i'm on satellite and downloading and the speeds are both capped off to time frames and such so downloading is pretty strictly limited here (and so is uploading)
If I could change (im just thinking out loud) somthing about steam, it would have to be steam not always open and active while playing its games, i mean the darn thing once used 300mbs of my ram thats ridiculous.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone

Interesting. After all, wouldn't EA's Origin, X-box, PS 3, gamefly, and a couple others fall under this as well?
Then also what about web based games, like Farmville? What if I wanted to sell my farm to someone else?

IMO, it stinks of a money grab.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to diablo1892

Just thought of this? What if the ps4 does use that disk is tied to a console drm? How would that effect something like this?