2 recommendations

Viruses, Trojans, and worms, oh my: The basics on malware

»arstechnica.com/security/2013/02···malware/

Good for newbies.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Interesting read, whether you're a newbie or a seasoned professional.

»cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u···oits.png

Anyone else find it amusing HTML/Java/Javascript were the highest ones on the charts?

Regards

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

said by antdude:

Good for newbies.

From the article:

In this second installment in the Ars Guide to Online Security, we'll cover the basics for those who may not be familiar with the different types of malware that can affect computers. Malware comes in a variety of types, including viruses, worms, and Trojans.

It seems like every year or so, articles like this surface. When I used to help home users, I avoided such discussions, which most of the time were confusing in their technical descriptions.

To them, all malware was a virus, and that was fine as far as I was concerned. I preferred to focus on secure policies and procedures, such as:

--> handling email attachments.
--> not installing anything you didn't go looking for.
--> updating only from the vendor's official site.
--> configuring plugins per site.
--> setting up and properly configuring a firewall
--> setting up the system to prevent unauthorized installation of executables.

Whether the executable is a virus, trojan, or worm, doesn't really matter, if it can't intrude.

Sometimes even the "experts" can't agree what to call something. Remember Conficker?

»www.spamfighter.com/News-12780-S···rong.htm

Security Experts - Conficker Trojan Still Going Strong

»kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?pa···=KB60909

W32/Conficker is a worm with multiple variants.

»www.antivirushelpcenter.com/worm···removal/

The Worm.Conficker.B trojan virus is a dangerous trojan virus infection affecting computer users worldwide.

What one chose to call Conficker was of no consequence to those who were properly protected.

Conficker.A was blocked by those with a properly configured firewall

Conficker.B and later variants that exploited USB were blocked by those with security in place to prevent unauthorized installation of executables.

regards,

-rich

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to HELLFIRE

said by HELLFIRE:

... Anyone else find it amusing HTML/Java/Javascript were the highest ones on the charts?

What is worthy of note is that for most websites, accessing their Flash content requires JavaScript be enabled in the browser. Which essentially means exposing the system to the full range of JS attacks, not just the much more limited range of Flash-oriented attacks. Just something to keep in mind when browsing Flash videos, especially if going in harm's way to do it and thinking it's safe because one's Flash is updated to the latest and greatest "safe" version...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville