how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

judaster

join:2012-05-30

WAN connection help

Hi and thanks for reading,

I have one USG200 that it was working great with my previous ISP (FTTH). I had to move to a different building and had to get a new cable ISP because the previous one didn't reach the new building.

We received the Cisco EPC3825 cable modem router.
I changed it to bridge mode and plugged in to the WAN1 interface. I have a static public IP, but I don't know how to configure it.

I tried the setup wizard. Selected "Ethernet", then entered the TCPIP information:

81.184.2.xxx - IP address (fixed public)
255.255.255.224 -Mask
81.184.2.xxx - GW

62.81.29.254 - DNS1
62.42.230.24 - DNS2

It doesn't work :\ Can you help me please?.

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
I haven't got this configuration, but if a port's address is xxx, then xxx isn't also the gateway to the next higher level. The IP address of the server providing you the IP connection would be the gateway, e.g., 81.184.255.1. Usually the ISP provides the gateway address in a DHCP message, but with a static public IP address, I don't know just what is sent to you.

Similarly, on the lan, a PC with address 194.168.1.100 would be looking at a gateway of 194.168.1.1, say, if the router is so configured.

kirby

judaster

Thanks a lot Kirby,

These are the numbers received from the ISP, the gateway is a lower number but not a one.

I don't really know if I have to use these numbers or configure the WAN1 interface with a LAN address... I'm very confused.

Jud

Kirby Smith

Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to judaster
The WAN interface and the LAN interface are normally different. Think of the firewall as a big barrier between them. Using the same subnet would be cutting a big hole in the firewall.

Maybe you need to describe what "It doesn't work" means procedurally. What did you do to test it?

Also, you should go into the menus and check that what you think you established is what the device thinks you established.

kirby

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA
reply to judaster
Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the EPC3825, setting up the static WAN IP on it, and verifying that the router/modem bridge mode is configured properly?

Assuming that works, you can see what your WAN configuration looks like directly from the USG 200 GUI:

Configuration->Network->Interface->Ethernet->wan1->IP Address Assignment

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to judaster
Would first recommend upgrading to the latest USG firmware, more stable and other items fixed up.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to judaster
I've seen quite a few FTTH installations use PPPoE -- so since you've moved to Cable and assuming that you're previous install may have also been PPPoE all you have to do is disable the PPPoE interface and make sure that your WAN Ethernet Interface is enabled [Active] and that should do the trick.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
There are few things to be adjusted if changing the WAN interface type
- the interface connection itself (TCP/IP vs PPPoE)
- static or DHCP
- firewall rules to allow DHCP in and regular outbound traffic
- policy routes to the WAN interface

judaster

reply to mozerd
Thank you all for the answers,

Yes, the previous FTTH connection worked after configuring PPPoE and VLAN6. I'll try the direct connection between one PC and the bridge. I guess I'll have to configure the computer TCPIP with the public IP + 255.255.255.224 mask and the GW and DNSs provided by the ISP right?.

I'll post a screen capture of the USG configuration for you to have a looh.

Thanks a lot,

Jud

judaster

reply to Kirby Smith
Thanks Kirby,

The ISP sent us the device as a router, with DHCP and wifi activated. In the LAN I use a different subnet and the USG200 to handle all the requests to our Windows SBS2008 server. NAT, etc. I chaged the device to bridge mode and thought that connecting it to the WAN1 intyerface and setting the ethernet static IP address, mask, gw and DNSs would be enough to provide Internet connection to the LAN, but it does not... :-/

Jud

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by judaster:

The ISP sent us the device as a router, with DHCP and wifi activated.

Was the wan set for dhcp?

judaster

Thanks Wayjac,

We contracted one public IP address. DHCP server was enabled in the router.

Jud

Kirby Smith

Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
I think wayjac's question was whether the router's WAN port side enabled DHCP receipt from the ISP.

I recommend an unfortunately time consuming, and perhaps tedious read of both the 2.2 and 3.0 User Guides, along with the various Notes ZyXEL makes available. Skimming over stuff that is not related to WAN setup will probably shorten the task to a manageable size. The skipped parts should not be ignored for long, though, as no doubt some future action will depend on that knowledge.

kirby

judaster

Thanks Kirby,

I thought I had understood ther question, I contracted a fixed public IP address to be able to correctly route the RPD and FTP traffic to their respective devices, so I don't really know if the WAN port receive always the same IP from the ISP DHCP server, or if it's already defined in the router, but what is the difference?. Turning the router into a modem (bridge) should make it transparent right?.

How do you configure your cable connection with static IP in the USG WAN port?

Jud

judaster

reply to Kirby Smith
I'm reading the user's guide...

AndreSt

join:2013-02-05
You have to consider that the Zywall operates as an ethernet switch while starting up. This fact was confirmed to me by Zyxel. So it's possible that a LAN device may get a WAN address. After booting the ports will be disabled an enabled again. If the modem works correctly it will discard these IP associations. But if not you might have to restart it.
To be save either never restart the Zywall or don't use DHCP.