dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Dat Bitrate
This is a sub-selection from Why would they?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac

Re: Why would they?

said by Morac:

I don't think this increases costs for ISPs since the traffic still flows over their network regardless if they peer with Netflix directly or not. Peering directly with Netflix can be cheaper for ISPs since they aren't paying for Netflix traffic anymore and Netflix actually provides the hardware.

I think the biggest issue is that most ISPs in the U.S. are also TV providers. They don't want the competition from Netflix so even if it saves them money from the ISP side, they won't sign up as it will cost them money on the TV content side (reduced rates from competition).

Comcast already refuses to allow HBO2Go and EpicHD on Roku for that reason.

If you are Verizon though, you don't pay for traffic anyway being a Tier 1. Same for At&t. The Netflix hardware is limited. They give them to you to feed the high density areas, but not your entire network if you are as big as Verizon.

But otherwise I agree with you. It competes with their own offerings.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

You are incorrect and over estimate the size of their network. Verizon's is not that robust and they dont reach every business and user in the world thus they are peering with others.

Even level 3 which is the largest backbone provider in the world peers with others.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

You are incorrect and over estimate the size of their network. Verizon's is not that robust and they dont reach every business and user in the world thus they are peering with others.

Even level 3 which is the largest backbone provider in the world peers with others.

I never said they didn't peer. You are just chomping at the bit to prove everything I say wrong. You don't even both to read what I say.
chomper87
join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL

chomper87 to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Verizon's is not that robust and they dont reach every business and user in the world thus they are peering with others.

"Verizon has received top Metro Ethernet Forum awards around the world for its leadership and innovation in developing and delivering Carrier Ethernet business services. In addition to earning the Global Service Provider of the Year award for the fourth consecutive year, Verizon received two Carrier Ethernet Business Application Awards for Asia-Pacific, the Best Marketing award for the Americas and the North America Regional Service Provider award."

Yup, totally not Robust at all. Nah, perhaps I'll believe the Metro Ethernet Forum.

»metroethernetforum.org/p ··· _id=2499

»newscenter.verizon.com/c ··· t-forum/
« Dat Bitrate
This is a sub-selection from Why would they?