Do I just guess?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uC4bXmcUvw

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Re: [FireFox] Additional plug-ins required to display media on t

Is the page in question that is asking you to install additional plug-ins the link under the youtube video?

If it is, I have no problems clicking on the link and watching the video. I don't see the message that you posted.

Below is my list of Plugins that I have enabled
•Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.146
•Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.10411.0

So, do you have either of these? If not, maybe you could try installing them and see if that fixes your issue.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 edit

said by plencnerb:

Is the page in question that is asking you to install additional plug-ins the link under the youtube video?

If it is, I have no problems clicking on the link and watching the video. I don't see the message that you posted.

Below is my list of Plugins that I have enabled
•Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.146
•Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.10411.0

So, do you have either of these? If not, maybe you could try installing them and see if that fixes your issue.

--Brian

I'm a bit smarter than that.

I guess in this case, it's Java.

But on other sites it just says "install missing plug-in"

Firefox needs to be more specific, WHAT PLUG-IN?

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I don't think it would be Java, as I don't have the java plug-in enabled. I have it installed, but I currently have them disabled.

I do agree that it is kind of dumb that it does not tell you WHICH plug-in is missing, or what it wants to install.

Sorry if I came across or implied that you are not smart to figure things out. That was not my intent at all. All I was trying to do was let you know what plug-ins I have enabled, and that the site in question (if it was youtube) does not present me with the dialog box to install a missing plug-in.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by plencnerb:

Sorry if I came across or implied that you are not smart to figure things out.

No your right in posting as that would be a instant solution.
+1

I was just at this thread: »Re: Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play

The test site wants you to install a program (that is basically a trojan in itself IMO) to find out if your vulnerable to another type of exploit.

I'm just stunned a bit sorry.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

It's asking which plugin you want to use ... they are already installed.

play it in Flash or with Shumway ... choose Shumway

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by chachazz:

It's asking which plugin you want to use ... they are already installed.

play it in Flash or with Shumway ... choose Shumway

It says it requires Java

»www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Not gonna happen.

It would be nice if FF says what plug-in exactly.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Cartel

Well in your first post, to view the video here on DSLR you will need the Flash plug-in. No need to guess it's YouTube, which uses Flash or HTML5. If you play it on YouTube (click that link) with Firefox (latest versons) you don't need a plug-in. It plays without one using HTML5.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Cartel

In your second post to Netalyzr, you need to have JavaScript enabled, it says so on that page ("Please enable JavaScript in order to run Netalyzr."), after you do that, you will need Java and the plug-in enabled. It also says so on that page. ("f you don't see a big "Start Analysis" link, please see the FAQ for details on how to enable Java.")
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

The video was me being humorous, install the add-on to see what is in it, like the Bill.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines

That video was displayed when I first read that post, I played it before I posted anything. I have Flash installed and enabled.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to plencnerb

It's Flash. I have Java enabled for Fx 10 ESR but I have Flash disabled. That one doesn't play in HTML5 either. I don't usually need Flash at youtube as it will play in HTML5. But this one has to have Flash enabled. It does not want to download Flash because I already have Flash installed. It is telling me exactly what the problem is. I have Flash disabled in Fx Addons.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

The video was me being humorous, install the add-on to see what is in it, like the Bill.

Ahh! Now I see says the blind man to his deaf wife!

You posted two pics. The top one was showing that some site was asking you to "Install Missing Plugins" which were "Required to display all the media on this page".

I thought that the link, and the youtube video was the site you were on when you got the first picture.

But, that is not the case. You were adding that, as you said above, to be humorous, as the message you got on another site did not specify what "Missing Plugins" it needed. It could need Java, or Flash, or Silverlight, or Windows Media Player, or Quicktime, or whatever...your whole point was that it did not tell you. I'm guessing if you clicked the "Install Missing Plugings" button, you got whatever it needed, and you would probably have to go back and look to see what it added (and what other FUN things came with it).

Your whole point was this: Why is it not possible for that message to tell you what missing plugin(s) it needs, so you can go get them on your own, and install them.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner