Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2

Re: [Speed] Speed increase.

When you take a speed test is it showing it hitting around 50-60 Mbps for a second then it plays ping pong with itself between 22-33 Mbps?

The PB stayed partially in this test before it ended ;p.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

When you take a speed test is it showing it hitting around 50-60 Mbps for a second then it plays ping pong with itself between 22-33 Mbps?

The PB stayed partially in this test before it ended ;p.
[att=1]

Yep, even had initial bursts higher than that. Keep in mind though, that is misleading. I am happy with a jump from 16Mbps to 22Mbps in sustained speed. Don't do much uploading personally, but a real world jump from 2 to 4Mbps is nice too.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

So where is this less than a second burst coming from? Whenever I see a download start task manager spikes to about 40 Mbps all the time.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

So where is this less than a second burst coming from? Whenever I see a download start task manager spikes to about 40 Mbps all the time.

PB. It is still showing on downstream in Shaper

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

said by Darknessfall:

PB. It is still showing on downstream in Shaper

So is that why it's ending so fast :P? It's bursting so high that it just cancels itself out quick?

Another thing to note: Comcast's site no longer says "with powerboost." It now just says "Up to 20 Mbps download speeds."

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

So is that why it's ending so fast :P? It's bursting so high that it just cancels itself out quick?

Because "uncapped" powerboost boosts at the full available speeds for the channels you're on for the first X MB of a file. If it can push 100Mpbs and it's set to 20 MB then that's only 1.6s of 100Mbps boost before it ends.

With "capped" powerboost, powerboost is limited to Y Mbps for the first X MB of a file. This smooths out the boost over time so you get a boost for longer, but it's a smaller change from your shaped rate.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Too bad the MB amount wasn't capped right now :/.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

Well, since my old AT&T "Elite" dsl account was a 6Mbps line, that delivered around 5.1Mbps with an upload speed of 0.76Mbps for only a few bucks less, I will not complain about 22/4.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

said by PeteC2:

Well, since my old AT&T "Elite" dsl account was a 6Mbps line, that delivered around 5.1Mbps with an upload speed of 0.76Mbps for only a few bucks less, I will not complain about 22/4.

Kind of the opposite for me, though this was years ago

Try going from 25/25 business FiOS to 22/5 business Comcast (back in early 2010). That was painful! Although the FiOS was $30/mo more, it was well worth it for the upload speeds.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
3/1 U-verse which gave about 3.2/1 for about $38
vs
22/4 for $19.99

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:

They raised our HSI prices $2 a month (It took out Blast! from $72.95 to $74.95) in Feb, but the fastest tier available to us in Mendocino County is still Blast!, 25/4 (35/6 w/Powerboost). Any idea when we'll see the speed increases here?

Maybe someday?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

3 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Lol How did this happen ?

I think my connection hit a road bump now:
About two hours ago -

Now -

Edit: Well download fixed itself but upload is still bleh lol.
Edit 2: Well guess it somehow fixed itself on both down/up again now lol.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Ouch, that was bad! I'm glad it's normal again.

wiz562
@comcast.net

wiz562 to mrschultz02

Anon

to mrschultz02
Just wondering if I could tell of a speed boost through a new firmware version. Rumor has it that it might be here, but I really see no increases in speed. I'm using this one...

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Firmware doesn't control the provisioned speeds, the config / boot file that is loaded in to the modem does.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

FifthE1ement

I just got this notice in South Florida on my cable box messages:

"Exciting News: Increased speeds on the way! XFINITY will soon be increasing internet speeds on its most popular plan and doubling two of its fastest. That's right - The fastest internet and fastest in-home Wi-Fi is about to get even faster."

I just checked and no increase yet. I'm on the Ultra/Blast! tier and get about 36MB Down and 7MB Up. I think that is with PowerBoost enabled. I'm excited for the 50MB upgrade! Anyone get it yet or gotten a better time-frame or notice? I think we should see it on March 1st or soon after?

5th
Dumaine
join:2010-12-05
Detroit, MI

Dumaine

Yes I got that same message yesterday here in Detroit and a little bird told me that our eta is early next month! (not a trustworthy little bird though)

LarryE
join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL

LarryE to mrschultz02

to mrschultz02
I don't know if this has an "official" answer yet, but since the 50Mbps tier is getting a free upgrade to the 105Mbps tier, what about us who paid that $250.00 installation fee. Are we getting that refunded? And, if they are getting the upgrade for the same price as the 50Mbps they are paying, does that mean that my $200.00/Mo. will be cut in half?
Dumaine
Detroit, MI

Dumaine

said by LarryE:

what about us who paid that $250.00 installation fee.

I was waiting and waiting on someone to bring this subject up.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

Just chatted with Comcast and those of us who were stupid enough to shell out that $250.00 will only get a kick in the face for having done so. Isn't that nice?
Dumaine
Detroit, MI

Dumaine

That's the answer I was expecting too.

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE

And no word yet if our price will be cut either. Now wouldn't that be another kick. They get the upgrade from 50/10 to 105/20 for $99.00 and we get to pay the $199.00 for the same thing.
Big Hurt
join:2004-02-26
Battle Creek, MI

Big Hurt to mrschultz02

to mrschultz02
So is the 30/6 going to 50/10? Or is it a different tier that is getting the increase? Also here is my speed test just ran.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to LarryE

MVM

to LarryE
said by LarryE:

Just chatted with Comcast and those of us who were stupid enough to shell out that $250.00 will only get a kick in the face for having done so. Isn't that nice?

I can understand the frustration, however, everybody knows that can be the price of buying "bleeding edge" technology.

I would not characterize those of you who shelled out a premium of $250.00 as "stupid"...but you wanted to be the first in line for the "latest", and as is common, there is a price to be at the head of the line.

Also as is common, you blazed the way for more mainstream users...not much consolation I am sure, but true nonetheless.

I have a friend who bought a 46" plasma tv and spent over $4K on it...now you can buy a better quality model...from the same company... same size...better resolution and features for under $1K. But he was the first guy on the block to have one...
Dumaine
Detroit, MI

Dumaine to Big Hurt

to Big Hurt
said by Big Hurt:

So is the 30/6 going to 50/10? Or is it a different tier that is getting the increase?

that looks like Blast with PB so you "should" get the 50/10 upgrade

LarryE
Chicago, IL

LarryE to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Yes, I understand what you are saying about the "bleeding edge" technology. But it's also very easy to have an "I really don't care what you had to pay" attitude by those who didn't have to pay it.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Well, its like a premiere movie...no matter how good it is, eventually you can see it for free on late-night t.v.

...and the movie theatre never gives you back the price of that ticket...
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

Tomcat353

So...I just got the message on my cable box saying the top two speed tiers are doubling...

I currently have 105/20 (paying $199.95/mo), does that mean it'll double to 210/40? Or am I missing something?
MRCUR
join:2007-03-09
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR

said by Tomcat353:

So...I just got the message on my cable box saying the top two speed tiers are doubling...

I currently have 105/20 (paying $199.95/mo), does that mean it'll double to 210/40? Or am I missing something?

In the Northeast (which has already seen the speed bumps), 105/20 stayed the same but moved down to the 50/10 price.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to mrschultz02

MVM

to mrschultz02
So I guess it is now official, though I saw the speed changes yesterday. Just got the speed increase email this morning. Says up to 20 down and 4 up. Shaper is more like 22/4.4, which is not unusual for Comcast.

The only surprise to me is that I thought they were going to do away with PB, which is no longer showing on uploads, but still appears on downloads.

Certainly not earth-shattering, especially to those of you with greater need, but I am satisfied.

It will never be the same as when I first went from 56K dial-up to dsl at 1.2Mbps...now that was a speed increase!