pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

AT&T U-Verse

I'm looking through some reviews on DSLR, and although informational, I'd like some input from Chicago users here in this forum about the U-Verse Internet specifically.

How are your speeds? Do they fluctuate or are they pretty consistent?

Any frequent slowdowns?

How is the stability? Any downtime in the last year?

Does U-Verse offer anything other than "...up to 18mbps"?

Pondering the idea of switching from Comcast (tired of pricing).
--
Cutler @ Jade Quarry (GW2)

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by pr1mo:

How are your speeds? Pretty close to full, no ATM overhead.

Do they fluctuate or are they pretty consistent? Consistent

Any frequent slowdowns? No. Although if you watch TV there is chance the bandwidth for that can cut into Internet depending on your package and line max rate. I've never had that issue.

How is the stability? Any downtime in the last year? I was down for about two hours over the last two years.

Does U-Verse offer anything other than "...up to 18mbps"? Probably I only have 3mb personally.

--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to pr1mo

Thank you very much and thank you in advance to anyone else that posts.
\
edit: I'd like to also state that although my main use of bandwith is newsgroups, I have recently slowed down quite a bit with downloading, but I am very much into online gaming so consistent low-latency is big.--

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to pr1mo

Basically what Dennis said.

I've had it about 3 or 4 years and I love it. Here's my original review
»Review of AT&T U-Verse by Jon

Other than my neighbor digging and cutting my line (as stated in my review), I can think of one, maybe two times it was down and even then I think the longest was maybe an hour. One time was was 12/5
»DNS Down?
Even then that was during the day when most people wouldn't notice. I was home that day though for some reason.

I upgraded to the 12mb package when they changed the pricing. I game online and we usually have two or three TVs going and have never noticed a slow down. If not for a shed in the way, I could actually see the VRAD from my dining room. I'm only 100' away. Maybe that has something to do with it. Distance does seem to matter with this service.

This is my test from just now with 12/2. Seems lower than usual but speedtest.net also thinks I live in Boston for some reason so I have to change it all the time. I don't personally give speed tests a lot of weight but I suppose it's all I got.

A plus is the uverse and ATT direct forums here. There are a lot of ATT techs on this site and even if they can't fix the issue right away, you can at least get a straight answer from them as to what's going on unlike when you just call tech support. Like any service I'm sure it depends on the infrastructure in your area but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it based on my experience.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

I have had it since June 2008. Only issues I have very had was a bad RG and that was the old 3800 model. I have the 3801 now. Very stable, consistent speeds and never really any downtime. I play on XBOX live mainly and when the wife is streaming Amazon instant video I still host private rooms and no one complains and most say I host very well. I did not like the TV but my reasons had nothing to do with ISP speeds. If you end up with VDSL you will see a little more latency than cable since it is interleaved. I am 900' from the VRAD roughly.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

Was going to comment, the latency is a little bit higher due to the Interleave setting but there is very low jitter. I believe that's why Interleave is used to ensure best delivery for video and VoIP.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to pr1mo

First, for informational purposes, there are 4 "flavors"/styles of U-Verse Internet:
VDSL2 U-Verse (single pair)
Pair Bonded VDSL2 U-Verse
ADSL2+ U-Verse
BPON U-Verse
Each varies a little from the others in speeds, latency, and/or equipment

Broadly though, speeds tend to be consistent with little slowdowns.

Downtime is minimal, unless a local line gets cut or there is a major outage (outages are pretty rare, but can occur)

If you are close to a VRAD on VDSL2 U-Verse single pair, you may qualify for "Max Turbo" 24 Mbps down/3 Mbps up Internet. The top speeds available for Pair Bonded VDSL2, ADSL2, and BPON is 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up (PB-VDSL2, BPON) or 1 Mbps up (ADSL2+)

Also keep in mind that depending on what "flavor" you would get also effects whether you buy/own a modem or rent one:
VDSL2 Single Pair and ADSL2+ U-Verse (when either Internet only or Internet + VoIP), the modem is bought by the customer for $100, and then no ongoing modem rental fee
VDSL2 Single Pair (when IPTV is in the mix), Pair Bonded VDSL2 or BPON requires a leased modem -- no purchase fee up front, but there is a modem rental fee (I believe $6/month? Don't quote me on the exact fee)

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to pr1mo

I've had U-Verse forever.
I think I was the first one on "my" VRAD. 11/2008 install.
Speeds are flat.
No slowdowns.
No downtime.
I also have Comcast "Performance" Cable Modem.
Comcast generally has faster speeds but not as flat as U-Verse.
If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Comcast only because of the higher speed. Both have been very reliable.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to pr1mo

All I'll be needing at this time is Internet only. I'd like to purchase/own my own modem (rental fees are so unneccesary on a bill). I'm pretty sure I'd be content with 18mbps download speeds. I don't do much uploading but 1.5mbps should be fine for that as well.

I've noticed quite a few of those giant white boxes on street corners throughout my neighborhood so I'm confident/hoping that my speed options are good.

I've read around that there are installation fees. Is it worth waiting around for a new-customer promotion? Would it be wise to call and ASK for a new-customer promotion of sorts?

Thank you very much for all the responses thus far.
--

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

There can be anything from "activation" to "installation" fees -- activation usually 30-50, installation usually 100-150 - I would recommend a call to sales @ 800.288.2020 to see about getting the fees waived or visit a Corporate owned AT&T Store & talk to a CSR there

"Self Installation" may be an available option as well, but that typically only is supported up to 12 Mbps and the option varies based on flavor of U-Verse and distance from the DSLAM

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

I will give that phone number a try. Thanks again, sir.
--

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to pr1mo

I have IPSDLAM Uverse that maxes out at 12/1. Been on it since 7/2011. It's been reliable, my actual speed is just-about those numbers, I don't have Uverse TV so I'm not on an Interleaved profile and thus my "ping" is very low, and I effectively have a static IP ("persistent," it has been called) that is handy for certain applications. I've thus-far been able to get it at a price-point that keeps me from migrating to the much-faster cable alternatives.