Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

[Weather] 30ish car accident on 401 near Woodstock

My wife is going that way, they are not there yet. I was just talking to them to let them know and gave them an alternate route. They do have a GPS with them.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

a heavy squall band out of the north west is tracking down hwy 8 Goderich to Kitchener right now.

CTV Kitchener, February 1, 2013 1:30:00 PM
As many as 50 vehicles, including several tractor-trailers, were involved in a collision that has shut down Highway 401 eastbound between Ingersoll and Woodstock.

The crash happened shortly after noon Friday near the Foldens Line exit.

OPP say the highway will be closed for several hours for cleanup and investigation.

An air ambulance was initially dispatched to the scene but quickly called off. Police say injuries are believed to be minor.

Whiteouts and snow squalls were reported in the area around the time of the crash, and police say drivers not adapting to the conditions is the likely cause of the crash.

"We have people driving into the scene in highway speeds, when you can't see anything in front of you," OPP Sgt. Dave Rektor told CP24.

Rektor said police are working to get cars and drivers off the highway, but it may take time to fully clear the scene.

Follow kitchener.ctvnews.ca for more on this developing story.»kitchener.ctvnews.ca/401-closed-···.1139117

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo

I just finished directing my wife around it. She cut off in Woodstock at old HWY 2 and I said to follow it and go down to Ingersoll and get back on the highway. Not the shortest route but the most direct with fewer turns. They drove past the cheese museum My father and grandmother were from Ingersoll, so I could pretty much do it from memory.

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
reply to donoreo

It was going about 20 km/hr west bound from Drumbo to Ingersoll

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to koira

said by koira:

"We have people driving into the scene in highway speeds, when you can't see anything in front of you," OPP Sgt. Dave Rektor told CP24.

But... but... but... how is that possible? I thought people in the 85th percentile that drove at the speed they're comfortable driving at were the safest ones on the road?

Could the engineers have been wrong? Could it be that driving is subject to factors other than what people are comfortable with? My oh my, what an interesting development!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to BryceS

said by BryceS:

It was going about 20 km/hr west bound from Drumbo to Ingersoll

They had it closed for a while from Waterloo 95 to Drumbo.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

said by koira:

But... but... but... how is that possible? I thought people in the 85th percentile that drove at the speed they're comfortable driving at were the safest ones on the road?

Could the engineers have been wrong? Could it be that driving is subject to factors other than what people are comfortable with? My oh my, what an interesting development!

Well troll keeping a clean windscreen, and then visual focus ahead as far as possible works for me. When it gets dirty I go right, slowdown and keep safe space ahead. Plus my vehicle is a good all round driver and always in top shape prepared for the seasons.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to donoreo

The husband of a woman I work with was on his way to London with their son for a hockey tournament when they got caught up in it. She said he told her it was an unbelievable scene.

That area between Woodstock and Ingersoll always seems to be bad for snow squalls.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

Note to those trolling this thread: Doing 100 (assuming that "highway speeds" referred to a higher figure) would have landed them in the same pickle. That's where the concept of adjusting the speed to the road conditions comes to play.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by FiReSTaRT:

Note to those trolling this thread: Doing 100 (assuming that "highway speeds" referred to a higher figure) would have landed them in the same pickle. That's where the concept of adjusting the speed to the road conditions comes to play.

Those trolling this thread knew that and ignored the fact that whiteouts and snow squalls were reported in the area around the time of the crash.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit

you have the all the trucks, most part on top of things aside of morans cutting them off and hoping they stop on a dime, then frequent commuters quite familiar with the variables on their route. then infrequent travellers which are most likely ill prepared for these situations. In all three cases there are those who choose to equip, prepare and watch well ahead for what's happening and then others who can't drive on ice and freak at the last minute when they encounter a situation like this. while the weather is there, FCOL (for cryin out loud) the collision is avoidable if they look ahead. watch and slow down. if you are a shitty driver stay to the right lane. or stay home.

edit slow the fuck down if its slippery and or getting bad visibility. leave distance. I cant afford to keep cont9inuing to subsidize your insurance mistakes