k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to etech

Premium Member

to etech

Re: Want to switch back to Teksavvy but not getting help

First understand that what the big companies are doing is really just Bait and Switch. I mean.. Theoretically, with the big companies, you can aggressively negotiate a new contract once a year and get very good pricing. However, most people only negotiate aggressively once every 3 years or even less. On average they over pay by a lot. That doesn't happen at Teksavvy.

Teksavvy has no nonsense pricing. They don't play the games the big companies do. To me, it is much better that way. However, you aren't likely to get the kind of deal you are looking for.
etech
join:2011-02-14

etech

.. and the main reason to go back and support Teksavvy but add in the activation and modem charges (which you get included by the big companies) my actual cost goes more than what I would pay them, dont you agree ? Its like upfront $140 cost to get this service with Teksavvy. Do I need DOSCIS3 modem for Cable 18 or some old one would do ?

I had DSL before and now dont want to keep Bell's phone as well so want cable and a new modem needed. Rogers just announced their new package, 25/3 200GB and its comparable in price to Teksavvy. Bell has 25/10 and higher ones too but with Teksavvy we are getting way low speed.

Bell also seem more willing to reduce prices. I dont know how but people/agents advertising Bell's services (all 3 services for very low prices on kijiji $80). I want to continue to support Teksavvy but also need to see my upfront cost and the sticking point is not modem purchase but activation fees which is too high. The cabling is already done in the house as there was Rogers service before here.

Let me know Martin what do you think and if any other possibility is there so reduce the upfront cost.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy

Premium Member

You could sign up with a Docsis 2.0 modem and use the Cable 6 or Cable 18 plan but in the event the speed increases come your modem may not function to its best ability.

A open box Docsis 2.0 modem is DCM 425 and we offer that for $50 plus taxes.

You would be facing the following at sign up:
Cable 6 300GB $30.95
Activation fee $65
Open Box DCM425 $50
Shipping $10
Activation discount -$20

Total: #153.62 after taxes.

The above pricing is the best we can do unless you are interested in the 25GB plan for $6 a month less.

-Martin P
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to etech

to etech
Bell/Rogers have pretty large profit margins so they can afford to discount their services and waive fees at their discretion. The margins at TPIAs are much tighter so they cannot afford to be waiving fees en masse.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to etech

Premium Member

to etech
said by etech:

Do I need DOSCIS3 modem for Cable 18 or some old one would do ?

You don't have to get a Docsis 3 modem for 18, no. 18/512 is going to become 25/2 sometime this year though, and you will need Docsis 3 for that. It is a very good idea to get Docsis 3.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to TSI Andy

to TSI Andy
said by TSI Andy:

The above pricing is the best we can do unless you are interested in the 25GB plan for $6 a month less.
-Martin P

Well, with the lowest overall Internet speeds available anywhere Tek is going to run itself out of users if it doesn't change it's business model. They need to realize they're going to have to eat some of these activation fees and give customers a genuine reason to EVEN CONSIDER switching to Teksavvy now.

Blaming fees on Bell and Rogers just aint going to cut it. If you want business then PROVE you want business and make it worth while for folks to sign up.

Scaring people away with a massive pile of signup fees just aint going to help Teksavvy one bit............One good start: sell open box/used/returned modems for $25 as a goodwill gesture.
etech

etech

Thanks guys for your reply.. Its true the upfront cost is really whats hindering me switch. If its $30 activation fees, that would be reasonable.

How about CIK, they charge $29.95 activation fees and package ofcourse is similar to Tek + they have IP TV which looks very nice. Tek doesnt have any IPTV, is there any plan to get that ? That would be another point for me to consider other provider if I am to move away from Bell which I would for sure in the next 10 days.
etech

etech to TSI Andy

to TSI Andy
Martin,

When Tek gets 25/2 would you be increasing the price ? Other providers seem to have that speed and cost is still 39.95. Wondering when Tek has that, the prices would be increased or would it remain the same ?

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Scaring people away with a massive pile of signup fees just aint going to help Teksavvy one bit.........

Tell that to the CRTC . Another 'expert' empowered by the keyboard...

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by Crowbar10:

Tell that to the CRTC . Another 'expert' empowered by the keyboard...

CRTC my ass. A blind man could see this decision coming. Tek has to learn to roll with the punches. Take a setback and turn it into an opportunity.

Thanks for your mind boggling contribution Junior.....

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to etech

Premium Member

to etech
said by etech:

Martin,

When Tek gets 25/2 would you be increasing the price ? Other providers seem to have that speed and cost is still 39.95. Wondering when Tek has that, the prices would be increased or would it remain the same ?

WE don't have specifics on this now.

And if it is of any consolation... as an employee we do have to pay that activation fee as well.

So we do understand what people think about when activation fees are concerned.

Martin