join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

B.C.Auditor General finds flaws in criminal justice security

B.C. Auditor General John Doyle has found serious problems within the province's criminal justice security system, according to a report released Thursday.

The computerized security system, known as JUSTIN, was implemented in 2001 to support the administration of criminal cases from initial submission through to the court process.

Doyle's audit reviewed how well data was protected within the system, simulating attacks and examining user access and controls.

In a statement issued Thursday, Doyle said there was a serious lack of controls to protect JUSTIN information from inappropriate access.

"Information in the JUSTIN system is not safe from motivated individuals looking to gain access to it," he said.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c···aws.html

Identities of police informants were just some of the information that was at risk, he said.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQHWQnXFp0

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

I may be a pessimist when it comes to thoughts about governmental programs, etc., being secure, and that is so not me. However when it comes to this subject, I don't think that any of these systems will ever be secure. There will always be holes and or ways those that want to will be able to find from within these systems whatever they want or needed. I don't believe that any computer system has a secure environment, no matter what is done to try to maintain one.

I am going to continue wearing my tin foil suit.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Cartel

I'm just guessing, but has anything been done to upgrade that system since it was put in place in 2001? That's 12 years ago this year. That's an eon in computer terms.

In the US, private firms can conduct background checks and how secure their findings are and how they are communicated to the one(s) paying is questionable. I realize that the information in such checks is no where near so detailed or sensitive as that in the database of JUSTIN, but i'ts kind of scary by itself.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to jaykaykay

said by jaykaykay:

I may be a pessimist when it comes to thoughts about governmental programs, etc., being secure, and that is so not me. However when it comes to this subject, I don't think that any of these systems will ever be secure. There will always be holes and or ways those that want to will be able to find from within these systems whatever they want or needed. I don't believe that any computer system has a secure environment, no matter what is done to try to maintain one ...

Always keep in mind that when it comes to government contracts, they almost always go to the lowest bidder complying with the terms of the Request For Quote... at least on paper. And that contract itself will have been framed by a few technical consultants (also low-bid), a lot of career civil service personnel, and a cadre of government lawyers. What could possibly go wrong...?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville