spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

niel4

@sbcglobal.net

IP address Pool

I am the owner of a small company running Win Server 2003 and 15 users (20 employees total).

Until recently. I had an unsecured wireless router for use by visitors and 1-2 laptops. I changed it to include a password because my sever will only issue 50 IP addys and it was getting clogged up with everyone's WiFi kindles and smart phones. Regular users who loggged off and then wanted in could not get back on the network because the 50 addys were used up.

Everything works fine now that I require a password EXCEPT there are about 5 users who have to log off and on everyday. If they leave the computer on for 15-20 hrs they get knocked off the network. I only show the 15 users in the list of IP addys issued and their lease dates are for about a week. So I don't understand why just these few users are getting kicked out each night.

Any ideas on why and a fix?

Thx

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

You should be able to expand your DHCP scope to allow for more than 50 addresses. Does your server hand out DHCP addresses or does your router/firewall do it?
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to niel4

I would start with looking at your DHCP release settings.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to niel4

One reason I tend to aim for a 1 day DHCP lease instead of a 1 week.

I know early iPhones had an issue with lease renewal that caused them to eat up all IP's available.

So its POSSIBLE (not saying this is whats happening) but the device forgets it IP and then the DHCP server says it already has one (combo of poorly written DHCP server and/or poor implementation of DHCP client.)
--
»Death Star Petition

niel4

@sbcglobal.net

How do I increase the number of leases (though I have enough with the password on) and the lease length...I can't seem to figure it out.

It's the same 5 (of 15) PC network users that are getting kicked off every night not the WiFi laptop / smart phones.

The server is giving out the ip addys not the router.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Ok you're using a 2k3 server for DHCP right?

Right click the scope
then under start and end change those to be a wider range (but make sure you don't make it over lap the IP's reserved for the server and the router or go beyond the subnet.

also by knocked off do you mean they lose their IP or they're disconnected from a share?

Niel4

@sbcglobal.net

not sure of the terminology....but the 5 local pc's are logged onto the network and the shared drives....then overnight (when the pc's stay on) for some reason they are no longer logged onto the network...they are not recognized and cannot access any shared drives. They have to restart and then everything is ok.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

1 edit

NM

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to niel4

+1 on JB's suggestion.

Reducing the DHCP "lease" time should do the trick.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to niel4

Second checking your DHCP lease times and/or increasing the pool size. With 20 employees, just HOW you hit
50 devices is alittle beyond me, unless everyone's on the work computer, their smart phone AND a tablet / iPAD.

For said 5 users, does an "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" help?

Regards

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to niel4

i would start by lowering the dhcp lease time. set it to 12 hours or 1 day and you should be fine.

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
kudos:2
reply to niel4

I guess I'll be to first to ask....why are your guests on your internal network in the first place???
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

user00

@comcast.net
reply to niel4

said by niel4 :

Until recently. I had an unsecured wireless router for use by visitors and 1-2 laptops. I changed it to include a password because my sever will only issue 50 IP

Do you actually put visitors on your business network? The first order of business should be to put them on an isolated network.

notambiguous

join:2005-03-24
reply to izy

First thing that crossed my mind.