Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

You can add

You can add CenturyLink to the growing list no one is talking about. CL disconnected rural plants first and left us with .512 Mbps to sere 10K digital phones in the county. It reminds me of that Senator from Utah, I think it was Hatch, who exclaimed. "Raising minimum wage was unnecessary as any man could support a family and live comfortably on $3.00 per hour."

The result is a disaster. DSL over POTS to a conversion boxes is plagued by connectivity issues, high prices, and too many excuses to not fix it. IF CL did it would have to upgrade plants and pass on another increase for another half-*** system that won't work any better. It has not changed for the better in years. Every upgrade is a downgrade that is worse than what I had six years ago.

The game plan is to drop POTS nationwide, provide the least service for the greatest profit. Places like LV and Dallas get 25/25 while it brags that it provides 100Gbps to Paris and London. It forgets to mention the .512 up to rural -- if you are one of the very lucky buyers.

The telcos are heartless bastards who would rather watch rural customers die than provide them with a phone that is reliable in an emergency. Think of the advantage: Less linemen and service people. No more trouble calls 70 miles from the office they closed. Our regional office is 150 miles one-way. They closed three offices in two years.

Customers are not supposed to notice or complain when your call to 911 is dropped and when you call back "... not available, try again later."
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

AngryDallas

join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

AT&T told me back in December that DSL is going away in my area and forced me to switch to UVerse.

There has been a few AT&T trucks around here at the 2 boxes to North East and to the South of my residence.

I've stopped by and spoke with them on 4 different occasions on 4 different days, each time it was a different Tech.

They all told me that DSL is not going away in my area and that I didn't have to switch to UVerse to avoid losing internet service.

So once again AT&T lied to me again!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

The problem in all large corporations is the right hand does not know what the left is doing. DSL is not going way.

What is going away, or I should say, what AT&T and the other national telco are trying to do is drop the old POTS phone line that requires a pair of copper wires from the main office to the home. If they are successful, then the copper line will carry the digital signal to a D-A converter box. At this point the digital signal is converted to analog from the box to the house where part of the uplink speed is used for the digital telephone.

The advantage is you get a faster download speed and it costs telco less money to provide internet and phone. How fast or how well it works is not in your control. It is dictated by the equipment used by telco, and the equipment provided to you at your home by your phone company. I suspect the UVerse box is what holds the D-A converter for several customers; I've never seen one. If this is the case, you are not losing Internet, you are gaining a digital phone.

It is happening all over the country from coast to coast. The question is whether or not FCC will let them bypass federal law that requires them to provide telephone service to the most remote areas in the country.

Right now it is a bumpy ride, but it should improve in the next few months.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside