spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ina_jam
@rr.com

ina_jam

Anon

No stud

I am installing a pedestal sink, however, there is only sheetrock behind the area the previous vanity was. No stud to attach sink too.

How do I install a structor or a stud like peice of wood to hold the sink?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

Well, you can either:
a) put a piece of wood or two on the outside of the sheetrock, or
b) you can cut out a piece of sheetrock, install the studs behind it, and then 'reinstall' the sheetrock.
c) put the pedestal sink on legs

Personally, I found that it's much easier to put back the same piece of sheetrock than cut a new one, but of course you need to be careful when cutting it out.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to ina_jam

Premium Member

to ina_jam
I haven't installed one personally but I have seen it done.

My understanding is that your situation is actually ideal because pedestal sinks generally require horizontal bracing. Have you consulted the installation instructions?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

b) you can cut out a piece of sheetrock, install the studs behind it,

My vote for the most correct answer.
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to ina_jam

to ina_jam
The other replies are dead on. The ONLY proper way to do this is install horizontal bracing.

Didn't you look into this prior to ripping everything out?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Last pedestal sink I installed was like this..

Was easier to open the wall in the adjacent room and add blocking between the studs rather than tear up the tile in the bathroom. Had to move the drain to accept the pedestal also..

I hate pedestal sinks. theyre nice to look at, but a bitch to install, and repair in the future. would never put one in my house.

-j

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by tp0d:

I hate pedestal sinks. theyre nice to look at, but a bitch to install, and repair in the future. would never put one in my house.

-j

I just hate them 'cause they waste space. If the space below is going to be taken up, it may as well be taken up by a cabinet that you can put stuff in.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to tp0d

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

... add blocking between the studs ...

Agreed, need to add blocking. My main concern was making sure when kids lean on the front edge of the sink that it wouldn't collapse. I was able to remove the medicine cabinet and add blocking through that cavity, which as a pipe space was about 10" deep.

They can be challenging to install. However in a 4x5 bathroom (excluding the tub), the pedestal makes it seem a lot less crowded and it's easier to clean now with just tile & porcelain instead of pee- and shower-splashed wood.