Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Electronics that stop working when cold

said by Subaru:

if my car's LCD display works in 12F then it should be no reason for this

All LCDs are not created equal. The LCDs used in your car were likely designed for improved low temperature operation.

As for the LCDs used in dirt-cheap electronic devices like electronic tire pressure gauges, they don't work so well in the cold. The tire pressure gauge I used to have (see other thread about throw-away electronics) was almost impossible to read below -10C. Calculators are just as bad, they use the same type and grade of dirt cheap LCDs.

I recently purchased a dial type tire pressure gauge for $5, and guess what it works fine in the cold.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
my green laser sight on my P99 was failing a few weeks ago. the CR123 battery didn't like the cold weather---it was about 4*F that morning. the laser was barely visible until I brought it inside and let it warm up a while..........
strange, as I thought CR123 batteries were good for lower than that. maybe I got a pack of duds.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by quitaccount:

my green laser sight on my P99 was failing a few weeks ago. the CR123 battery didn't like the cold weather---it was about 4*F that morning. the laser was barely visible until I brought it inside and let it warm up a while..........
strange, as I thought CR123 batteries were good for lower than that. maybe I got a pack of duds.

A big part of the problem are designs not considering the characteristics of the battery. Do the laser specs give and operating temperature range?

Going back to the coin cell 2032, it has a range of ~ -20 to +60 but that's at a current in the uA range where the IR doesn't affect it.