ISP Employee
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

[OUTAGE REPORT] Feb 1st, 2013 3:20PM *Resolved*

Hello all,

We currently have a POI router down in London, ON affecting service for our Cable customers in the area. We are working hard to resolve this ASAP and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Keith
travyb
join:2011-07-13
London, ON

travyb

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] Feb 1st, 2013 3:20PM

Thanks for the update. Was wondering what was wrong.
londoner1
join:2007-04-26
London, ON

londoner1 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
I hope that once everyone is on the aggregated poi that some redundancy is built in and that single points of failure (for the most part) are a thing of the past

Thankfully a backup 3G connection comes in handy
can00k
join:2003-07-05
London, ON

can00k to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Thank you for the update. Figured I wasn't the only one after I rebooted my equipment and still couldn't get anywhere.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Likewise, just spent the past hour doing my troubleshooting, collecting results and just made a post in the direct support forums. Accessing anything was super slow (speeds is fine, once you access anything).

@Londoner1, even with redundancy, when a router fails, it can still take time for failover measures to take over depending on how it's set up. One would hope TekSavvy is using something like an HSRP protocol (cisco's, GLBP, VRRP) to have a backup router ready to take over . An expensive measure though, require 2x the equipment anywhere you want to implement it.

Hope it gets fixed soon, already got family complaining at me lol.
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1

Agreed on the fix. Fail over is for sure an expensive aspect and you can literally go on and on and on spending $. It's always a trade off but I would hope that with the centralized aspect of an aggregated poi that indeed some of the wish list by the IT / Network infrastructure groups can be met.

That should overall add to the robustness of the service

wtbinternets
@teksavvy.com

wtbinternets to londoner1

Anon

to londoner1
Anyone know how long this sort of thing usually takes to fix?
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
This is like the 4th outage in the last two weeks or so.

Rogers is doing something I take it?

--Steve

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

No actually it's not Rogers as the outage report already admits it's a failure of TekSavvy's equipment.

Its not really an outage but a severe drop in performance. If I go to speedtest.net, a few minute to load, a few minutes to start a test but once the test goes, full 28/1 speed and 15ms ping. So the line is actually fine, it is definitely routing issues.

stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac

Does Teksavvy own routing equipment in every POI they service? I thought they just got a link back, and Rogers owned the equipment. That's why there was all that mess about needing a large block of IP's per POI?

--Steve
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to wtbinternets

to wtbinternets
This is what I got for an answer

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:2
I apologize, at this time there is currently no ETA. All I can advise as of now is that it will be resolved as soon as possible.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
I'm in London and my internet is only working if I connect through my vpn

GraniteAnon
@wind.ca

GraniteAnon

Anon

I can ping Google (8.8.8.8). Its websites I can't get to.
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1

Ping to 8.8.8.8 fails for me here in London.

Almost 2 hrs and no update from TSI?
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

said by londoner1:

Ping to 8.8.8.8 fails for me here in London.

Almost 2 hrs and no update from TSI?

Google DNS works, but you may for now want to try a faster, more reliable alternative (OpenDNS). Those servers are 208.67.222.222 (pri) and 208.67.220.220 (sec) and should get you up and running for the DNS portion of the service anyway.
achalupka
join:2003-09-22
Ottawa, ON

achalupka to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Would this affect service in Ottawa?

I'm still at work, but I hear that the internet is down at home. This would be the second time this week (had to powercycle my modem). I'm getting concerned about reliability, especially since I'm on the verge of porting my Bell line over to voip.ms.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
I am hoping the internet is back up when I get home.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
Just to make sure everyone is clear on this.

This is a Cable only issue. The issue is specifically in London, ON.
If you are not part of London or surrounding areas, then you shouldn't be affected by this. If you are on DSL, you should definitely not be affected by this.

If you are experiencing some kind of issue, please feel free to post in the »/forum ··· avdirect forum or call in & we'll gladly take a look at your situation.

Thanks,
Martin

PS> Still no updates/ETA
Expand your moderator at work
workman845
join:2011-09-22

workman845 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] Feb 1st, 2013 3:20PM

Does it really take over 4 hours to replace a router?

wtbinternets
@teksavvy.com

wtbinternets to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn
No best guess as to what kind of time frame this fix will take? 1-2 hours, 2-3 days, 4-8 hours, etc.

Would be nice to have some timeframe

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Cable is working fine just here. I know this effected part of east London.
jacob1994
join:2013-02-01
London, ON

jacob1994 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Any update??
workman845

workman845 to evil_gusgus

to evil_gusgus
I'm located West London, near Oxford and Wonderland and it's definitely still an issue here. Some webpages work, some don't. The ones that do take forever to load and don't load 100% correctly. VOIP phone can't connect either.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to workman845

to workman845
Well they're not basic off the shelf routers you can pick up at your local Canada Computers.

Not sure what make and models TekSavvy is using at their POIs, but I used Cisco's ISR 2800s while studying at Fanshawe, they're pretty complex. And it depends on what TekSavvy's procedure is for replacing a down router is. There's many different ways of dealing with it. At the very least a fresh router will need be re-flashed with a backup configuration of the downed router. And double checked it wont ruin things if connected to the network. You don't just plug in a new router, flash it and hope for the best.

Rogers had downtime for a few days a week or two back, even they sometimes incur some pretty bad setbacks.
jacob1994
join:2013-02-01
London, ON

jacob1994 to workman845

to workman845
The same here on Horton St.

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to workman845

to workman845
Also Wonderland and Oxford, still down.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
We've been attempting to get an update from Rogers every hour.
We still have nothing to report.

Martin

velocius
@184.151.61.x

velocius to TSI Outages

Anon

to TSI Outages
Located at Commissioners West of Wonderland. Been having issues since 2PM. Changing to google or opendns does not appear to help. Everything loads extremely slow.

Speed test from Teksavvy reports 28.5 down and 0.98 up which is strange.

Any ETA ?
workman845

workman845 to TypeS

to TypeS
Obviously their not home routers. But I'm hoping they're not just putting in an order to Cisco now. You would think they'd have replacements setup in place at least close to as convenient as driving up to Canada Computers.