spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jangona
join:2001-07-27
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

[WIN7] 70% of RAM being used

My HP desktop has 6gb RAM, but my basic use is showing i'm using 70% and more of it. I checked my task manager, and it shows: total physical memory: 5885, cached is 1488, available 1415, and free 19.

I'm using chrome browser, windows live mail, and skype. Those are my only open programs. I'm also using a logitech wireless desktop (keyboard & mouse)

the computer itself lags considerably, i can be typing, and then iit freezes momentarily and then jumps. does the same with the mouse.

also, when playing a game on facebook, the animation freezes, and then starts again.

is there a free RAM cleaning program I can use? I use Microsoft security essentials, and ran malware bytes as well, both came out with no issues.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Check memory usage in Task Manager's Processes tab. Go to View | Select Columns... and select Memory Usage, Virtual Memory Size. Then make sure that the option Show processes from all users is checked at the bottom.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

ok, its still showing using 79% of available memory. i'm the only user on the machine.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
Post images and let us see what's happening?
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

i just took a closer look at the processes running. i currently have chrome open, with 8 tabs open. but when i look at the processes, it shows references to chrome over 30 times. i dont know why that is happening

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools

resource monitor.
Please show screen print of the memory tab.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

Click for full size
Is this ok?
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
If you close your Chrome browser, all related processes are gone? Or some still running... What's the memory usage of those processes?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
That's processor usage, not memory. They are looking for something closer to this.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

yea, i realized that after... i closed chrome, and got this: it showed the memory usage dropped from almost 80% to 35%
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I wouldn't blame chrome entirely, but many pages will use flash. If you use a selective flash block that might help excessive memory usage from flash content like useless ads.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
said by jangona:

yea, i realized that after... i closed chrome, and got this: it showed the memory usage dropped from almost 80% to 35%

Taking into consideration that computer has 6GB of RAM, what a memory hog that Chrome is...
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

yea, that's what i was thinking. the reason i started with chrome was because i was told it was faster than other browsers...
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Even with eight tabs open for Chrome to use the amount of memory you're talking about there would have to be something else. Chrome has their own basic built in task manager to show how much it's using per page, and extension.

On a system with 2GB of ram I would still have free memory with tabs open, and running other applications.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

But typically, if you have more memory then aren't the apps and the OS going to make more use of it??
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
said by jangona:

yea, that's what i was thinking. the reason i started with chrome was because i was told it was faster than other browsers...

As a general rule, you get 'faster' by designing to use more memory. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp ··· tradeoff That's not an inviolate rule, of course, but it's still a good rule of thumb.

The other thing, of course, is that unused memory is wasted memory.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

but my problem is the system is lagging, i'm assuming because it only has a little memory left to play with. but the thing has 6 gb, isnt that enough?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

You're still assuming the entire problem is chrome all by itself. What extensions, and plugins were running.... Again you can see it's memory usage per page, and extension in chromes own task manager. Chrome also runs sandboxed so that's another layer, and when it comes to things like exploits in popular plugins like flash it can help prevent them from escaping.

Use chrome again, right click at the top, and open the task manager.... Also go into the plugins enabled, and what extensions are enabled, of which some of both might have been installed without permission. Even logitech software might throw yet another extension in chrome.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

i'm not seeing chrome task manager... i have my tabs at the top of the browser
jangona

jangona

Click for full size
got it
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
If you're oversubscribed on memory, you'll be executing a lot of paging I/O, which could be a cause of slowness. The measure of that is the hard fault rate, which is one of the graphs on the resource monitor page posted by BlitzenZeus See Profile. What's yours?

(A few per second, or an occasional blip, is not bad. What is bad is large continuous fault rates)
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
Even with that usage which can seem excessive like the flash plugin using 125MB of memory, it's nowhere near the estimated 3GB you were talking about. You can monitor what it's using in the resource monitor, but also realize that chrome runs each page as a separate instance.

I don't tend to run a ton of pages at the same time, and even when I do with Firefox I restrict which sites use javascript and flash so I don't have some background pages constantly reloading flash ads wasting resources.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

does this help?
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to jangona

Premium Member

to jangona
I think there is something wrong with your Chrome browser. For example, from your picture I see that this BBR discussion thread (only one tab, not including browser itself) takes 234 MiB from your computer. In my case Chromium (Chrome) browser the very same thread takes 72 MiB total (including browser itself, not just one tab, as yours):

Chromium - memory usage
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It's not wrong.
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

Click for full size
i just ran the HP support assistant, and did a test on the graphics/display. I got the error that is indicated in the attached photo, not sure if this is the cause of my problem, and if there's a way to fix it.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Please show this part
jangona
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

here it is
jangona

jangona to Cartel

to Cartel
does this help?

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

I was thinking I'd see a huge hardware reserved but it looks like some programs are using the ram.
try this »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· bb896653

and show a screen shot