Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jangona

Re: [WIN7] 70% of RAM being used

If you're oversubscribed on memory, you'll be executing a lot of paging I/O, which could be a cause of slowness. The measure of that is the hard fault rate, which is one of the graphs on the resource monitor page posted by BlitzenZeus See Profile. What's yours?

(A few per second, or an occasional blip, is not bad. What is bad is large continuous fault rates)

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to jangona
Even with that usage which can seem excessive like the flash plugin using 125MB of memory, it's nowhere near the estimated 3GB you were talking about. You can monitor what it's using in the resource monitor, but also realize that chrome runs each page as a separate instance.

I don't tend to run a ton of pages at the same time, and even when I do with Firefox I restrict which sites use javascript and flash so I don't have some background pages constantly reloading flash ads wasting resources.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

jangona

join:2001-07-27
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
does this help?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to jangona
I think there is something wrong with your Chrome browser. For example, from your picture I see that this BBR discussion thread (only one tab, not including browser itself) takes 234 MiB from your computer. In my case Chromium (Chrome) browser the very same thread takes 72 MiB total (including browser itself, not just one tab, as yours):

Chromium - memory usage

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
It's not wrong.

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
Click for full size
i just ran the HP support assistant, and did a test on the graphics/display. I got the error that is indicated in the attached photo, not sure if this is the cause of my problem, and if there's a way to fix it.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
Click for full size
Please show this part

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
here it is

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Cartel
does this help?

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
I was thinking I'd see a huge hardware reserved but it looks like some programs are using the ram.
try this »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi···bb896653

and show a screen shot

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to BlitzenZeus
I myself found that just leaving a Facebook page open for 24 hours, Chrome will eventually consume more than 3X the available physical RAM in the system. I have a laptop with 512MB RAM that I use in the kitchen for browsing. It becomes impossible to use after about an hour. After taking 8 minutes to launch Task Manager, I see that Chrome is using 1.7GB of memory! 512MB RAM, plus virtual memory overflow. The HDD LED never goes out--drive is swapping 24 hours a day. Shut down Chrome, load a page like DSLReports, and memory usage stays relatively flat at a couple hundred MB. Pages like Facebook are doing something nefarious with all that memory usage.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
Sounds like chrome isn't reining in it's cache, or the plugins/extensions are not given any memory boundaries. That would have actually been an interesting internal task manager screenshot from chrome.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to disconnected
Similar story happens with visiting SHOUTcast Radio and listening some radio station there. Chromium (Iron) takes more and more memory until you have to close it...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...