HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

[WIN8] Office 2013 installation question

I have a Win8 laptop (HP) that came with Office 2010 a special factory freebee that did not have outlook. I then added Outlook 2010.

Now I want to try Office 2013 Home & Small Business.

My question is can I install 2013 over the top of my composite Office 2010 or do I need to un-install 2010 first?

HolmanGT AKA Mr. Coward.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

I think neither, it should install it as a separate suite.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

KVN,

Thanks, I did some searches that seem to indicate you are correct.

I was just nervous because some of the articles that I did find were a little old and the one that claimed what you are saying were done on Windows 7. Ugh!

I Just completed a system image with Acronis so if Murphy shows up I should be able to recover with out having to resort to using drugs to keep me from going over the edge.

If I am successful I will post back if not I will be in a hot tub with a straight razor.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

H2OuUp2 to HolmanGT

Premium Member

to HolmanGT
I have Outlook 2010 and 2013 running side by side no problems.

In the past you could only have one version of Outlook, but I have both. (I'm using Office 365 (2013) Home Premium version. In fact all the office products run side by side.

I am guessing that it's if you don't want to keep 2013 ($100 year) you can just go back to your 2010 version.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

H2O,

Well I don't know if I screwed up of not. The Trial I had was for OfficeProfessionalPlus.

When I started the install it gave me the option to install and keep the original BUT... it said I better read the help thingy. It said I could do it but both version of Outlook couldn't exist on the same machine at the same time and I would have to pick one or the other.

Short story; It gave me the option to upgrade my 2010 to all 2013 so I did that. The thought of mixing and matching just sounded WRONG.

Any way I am in the process of playing with it now. I have 60 days and then if I still like it I will purchase 2013 Home and SmallBusiness.

PS - So you are saying that you have both flavors of Outlook on you machine and they play well with each other? Which if true means M$ lied to me not that there is anything new with that.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

H2OuUp2 to HolmanGT

Premium Member

to HolmanGT
Click for full size
Yes I have both, and no problems (maybe I got lucky). When I put 365 (subscription based) on my PC it didn't say anything about the other version of any Office app. They all work well together. I find it strange myself because in the past it was always a no no to do it.

I have had multiple versions of Excel before (used it for development purposes) and if you installed in the correct sequence you could get it to work.

I noticed that on my PC Outlook kept my most (not all) of my customizations, but on my laptop it didn't.

Still I have went back and forth with no problems.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

H2O,

I don't remember but it wasn't a pop up warning or anything like that but there was caveat/help link that made the claim about "No dual installations of Outlook".

I actually got to worrying about the Office Pro Plus and all the extra junk it installed so I purchase Office Home & Business and installed it over the trial.

This is the first time I have ever ventured into anything so bazaar. The thing that did amaze me was that from Office 2010, 2013 Pro Plus Trial ending with Office 2013 Home & business Outlook tracked all my configurations and never seemed to be the least bit confused about handling all my strange demands. It even managed to copy over all my email accounts and signature files. The only thing it made me do is re-enter my account passwords and I was good to go.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

H2OuUp2 to HolmanGT

Premium Member

to HolmanGT
I imaged my HDD before I installed, and wanted to see what it would do. I was amazed how well it worked with the previous version of Office, without uninstalling it first.

I never got a warning (as I have always in the past) to uninstall or upgrade etc.

I also made some changes on one PC and they appeared on my laptop as well. (I think they were in Outlook).

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to HolmanGT

Premium Member

to HolmanGT
It looks like things have changed in regards to having multiple versions of Office on the same system.

Many years ago, it was not that way. The company I used to work for ran Office 2000 for years (they finally upgraded to Office 2010 when it came out). But, as we all know, there was Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007, and then Office 2010. Some of the people who worked in the finance department needed to use the newer versions of Excel, due to advances and changes done to help work with very large, and very complex spreadsheets. Since you were not able to install Office 2000, and a newer version of Office (like 2003 or 2007) at the same time, the finance department had to "limit" who would be working on those specific spreadsheets, and give them just the newer version of Office.

There was some articles written that claimed to be able to get Office 2000, and Excel 2003 to be on the same system, but we were never able to get it to work.

Again, looks like that requirement has been relaxed a bit, so that people can install both Office 2010, with either Office 365 or Office 2013.

--Brian