how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca

[Asterisk] Connect a landline to a laptop /w asterisk

How do I do this exactly?

Is there anyway to connect a computer to a landline without an FXO card?

I am cash-strapped so the cheapest option would be best

hwittenb

join:2003-12-20
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
Your title says you have an Asterisk server. Get an OBi110 ata from AcroVoice .... about Cdn $60 plus shipping.

Here is a thread on how to set it up.
»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=57.0

Bruce Lee

@electronicbox.net
thanks looks like right up my alley

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
I agree with hwittenb on the OBi110, and have such a setup myself. However, you might also consider these alternatives:

If the Asterisk box is a desktop with an available PCI slot, an X100P "clone" would give you an FXO interface at lower cost. See »www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/X100P+clone . Of course, the OBi110 would also give you an FXS interface (to connect an analog phone or device) and the ability to use Google Voice (more stable than the Asterisk module).

If you will only be making calls, instead of actually connecting to your landline, you could get a SIP account that allows you to send your landline number as caller ID; look at Anveo and VoIP.ms.

Bruce Lee

@electronicbox.net
reply to Bruce Lee
Hey guys,

thanks a lot for the opinions. I have a few more questions.

Just to clarify:

I don't have a physical box as of yet. It's just I'm trying to setup something at work for testing purposes. I want to have asterisk inside a VM on my laptop.

On my desk, I have one cat5 cable, one digital phone and one Rj-11. I know there is a PBX somewhere, but it doesn't work with IP phones. I don't think the rj-11 is connected directly to the phone company.

It was setup half a decade ago and the IT guy is for all intent and purposes not there to help me. So my big question is:

Will the obi110 work in this case?

(sorry if its a noob question, I have no idea how older PBXes work)

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Bruce Lee
That obi110 is awesome! Ironically it was just the other week i was thinking about how nice easy it would be to have a remote device that interfaced with a POTS line and acted as a sip server for you to program a trunk in asterisk with.

I say it is nice as you don't have to run the POTS line to where the server is nor do you have to deal with drivers etc.

Are there any other devices out there that do this?

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

If you will only be making calls, instead of actually connecting to your landline, you could get a SIP account that allows you to send your landline number as caller ID; look at Anveo and VoIP.ms.

Since PX Eliezer is no longer contributing to this forum, someone has to say it, Callcentric can do this too, though you do have to establish ownership of your phone number.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

Bruce Lee

@electronicbox.net
Also looking at the little video, I see that when people call in the Obi110, there is a little default menu, anyway to delete this???

thanks all

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California

1 edit
reply to grand total

said by Bruce Lee :

I want to have asterisk inside a VM on my laptop.

On my desk, I have one cat5 cable, one digital phone and one Rj-11. I know there is a PBX somewhere, but it doesn't work with IP phones. I don't think the rj-11 is connected directly to the phone company.

It was setup half a decade ago and the IT guy is for all intent and purposes not there to help me. So my big question is:

Will the obi110 work in this case?

(sorry if its a noob question, I have no idea how older PBXes work)

You can connect your regular phone, via the Obi110, to your Asterisk VM.

You'll need a minimum of 3 cat5 cables - one for your IP phone, one for your laptop with Asterisk VM, and one for the Obi110.

I'm also making the assumption that you have a DHCP server (or assigned static IP's) and a multi-port switch.

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca
I can buy one cheap multi-port switch.

There is a DHCP server but I don't have access to it until at least the end of the month (in fact, I don't have access to anything until the end of the month except the three things I've mentionned). I don't even have a static IP, I just plan right now to plug the switch, plug the laptop, one p4, and leave the P4 on 24/7 so that the DHCP doesn't reassign it a new address,lol.

SCADAGeo

N California
said by Bruce Lee :

I can buy one cheap multi-port switch.

There is a DHCP server but I don't have access to it until at least the end of the month (in fact, I don't have access to anything until the end of the month except the three things I've mentionned). I don't even have a static IP, I just plan right now to plug the switch, plug the laptop, one p4, and leave the P4 on 24/7 so that the DHCP doesn't reassign it a new address,lol.

DHCP leases need to be renewed periodically.

May I suggest that you consider an inexpensive wireless router with LAN ports or check with family/friends/colleagues about older wireless 802.11 b/g routers that are no longer in use.

Normally, the radio on a wireless router can be disabled (keeps the IT group happy), and most come with built in DHCP servers.

Asterisk: The Definitive Guide, 4th edition is a great resource, and it's part of O'Reilly's Open Feedback Publishing System, so there is no cost.

I would also suggest that you set up a free CallCentric IP Freedom account. SIP Broker calls, and calls to other CallCentric numbers can be made without funding the account.

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca
I actually posted another thread but I failed to see your response first. lol

Thanks a bunch... It answers all my qs.:D
Expand your moderator at work

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to Bruce Lee

Re: [Asterisk] Connect a landline to a laptop /w asterisk

said by Bruce Lee :

I actually posted another thread but I failed to see your response first. lol

Thanks a bunch... It answers all my qs.:D

You're welcome.

Some of my replies have been... delayed, so it may not have been visible before you posted the other thread.

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca
Ok, Im not clear about something: the phone line from the rj-11 is digital, that I am pretty sure, will that still work with the obi???

Stewart

said by Bruce Lee :

Ok, Im not clear about something: the phone line from the rj-11 is digital, that I am pretty sure, will that still work with the obi???

Likely not.

Make/model of phone? Make/model of PBX?

sarahportman

join:2012-10-31
reply to Bruce Lee
I let my brother read this thread since he is going to connect his desktop to landline using OBi. This thread has been very helpful.

Bruce Lee

@electronicbox.net
reply to Stewart
Ok Ill havve to go back to work to know for sure what make model the PBX is

For now the model of the PBX is a huge black box because for all intent and purposes the IT guy is now in the sales department and not in the least interested in IT...

Stewart

reply to Bruce Lee
What are you actually trying to accomplish (test, demo, specialized IVR, add functionality your PBX doesn't have, etc.)?

If you describe the application, we may be able to suggest a solution that does not require connecting to your digital RJ11 jack.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to Bruce Lee
said by Stewart:

said by Bruce Lee :

Likely not.

Make/model of phone? Make/model of PBX?

said by Bruce Lee :

Ok Ill havve to go back to work to know for sure what make model the PBX is

For now the model of the PBX is a huge black box because for all intent and purposes the IT guy is now in the sales department and not in the least interested in IT...

Please get the make and model of the phone, too.

said by Stewart:

What are you actually trying to accomplish (test, demo, specialized IVR, add functionality your PBX doesn't have, etc.)?

If you describe the application, we may be able to suggest a solution that does not require connecting to your digital RJ11 jack.

+1

Bruce Lee

@electronicbox.net
reply to Stewart
The PBX is Toshiba Strata CTX100. The phone is a Toshiba digital business phone DP5008C.

I just want to test and setup my own PBX. My next step is to see if I can setup something like vTiger CRM.

Stewart

1 edit
Sorry, you won't (at reasonable cost) be able to interface your DP5008C to your Asterisk, nor will it be able to make or receive calls through the CTX100 port to which your phone is presently connected.

However, nearly all CTX100 systems have one or more "single line telephone" (analog) boards installed; with luck, there will be an available port. For example, the emergency phones in your elevators are probably analog. If the CTX has an 8-station board for servicing them, but there are only 3 elevators, then you may find 5 unused ports, one of which you could connect to your Asterisk, using a spare pair in the cable that connects your existing office phone to the CTX. Of course, the port needs to be properly programmed in the CTX -- you don't want calls from your Asterisk to be routed to the elevator company as emergencies!

IMO, it's not necessary to physically connect to the CTX100 at all. I'm assuming that you want your Asterisk to integrate with your CRM system. On outbound calls, you would click a contact in the CRM and Asterisk would connect your phone to the contact, using a VoIP provider. "Your phone" is not the DP5008C, but something that does easily connect to Asterisk (IP phone, analog phone with ATA, softphone, smartphone app, etc.) On incoming calls, you would set up call forwarding for your office extension, to ring an outside DID that you would get from your VoIP provider. Your Asterisk would "see" the caller ID of the original caller, pass it to the CRM system and ring your phone. With luck, your contact's info will pop up on the screen as your IP phone starts to ring.

Bruce Lee

@dsl4u.ca
Thanks,

I am sure I'll have more qs in the future but
you amply answered the ones I had now.