spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

J J

@cgocable.net

Cogeco purchased Motorola pvr

purchased a used Motorola 6416 pvr off of the internet couple months ago and called Cogeco to hookup, they informed me that unit was a rental???????? and they would not activate. The person who sold it to me can not be reached now, of course. I have been ripped off, but i know it is my own fault for not checking !! lesson learned.
My question is what can i do with this pvr I am out $125, is it just a paper weight now?
Is there anything i can salvage from this pvr ? Cogecco won't help me at all with this, I didn't steal it but they make me feel like a criminal.

Any help would be great !!!

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

Well you could contact the police if you have the seller's information, of course. Otherwise, you can use it with Shaw, Rogers... possibly Verizon too (although I don't know if they still use Motorola STBs). Cogeco will never "help [you] at all with this" since it was stolen.

You didn't steal it, but of course you feel like a criminal; you could (technically) be a criminal* for possessing stolen goods. Of course, you were the victim of fraud, and nothing you did had malicious intent, but it couldn't hurt to make a call to the police IMO.

Sorry to break bad news.

*IANAL

RogueMonk
Premium
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON
kudos:1

Contact the police.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to J J

The police most likely won't do anything. Caveat emptor. Consider it a lesson learned.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

Well you could contact the police if you have the seller's information, of course. Otherwise, you can use it with Shaw, Rogers... possibly Verizon too (although I don't know if they still use Motorola STBs). Cogeco will never "help [you] at all with this" since it was stolen.

You didn't steal it, but of course you feel like a criminal; you could (technically) be a criminal* for possessing stolen goods. Of course, you were the victim of fraud, and nothing you did had malicious intent, but it couldn't hurt to make a call to the police IMO.

Sorry to break bad news.

*IANAL

Shaw and Verizon do not accept STBs from other MSOs. Rogers also uses a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta equipment in the Ontario region, and they also do not activate outside STBs.

You can ask cogeco if they can give you a small bill credit or some other little freebie in exchange for returning the rental unit to them. But keep in mind if you do this, you're actually helping the person who scammed you as their unreturned equipment charges will be reversed making that $125 you paid them, pure profit.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
reply to J J

said by J J :

Any help would be great!!!

Sign up for these forums and PM me the serial number of the unit. Can't promise anything, but I'll take a look.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to J J

Should have ran the numbers before you bought. Like other poster said, lesson learned. Unfortunately for you.