how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koolin

join:2005-12-20
Canada
reply to koolin

Re: How to transfer with no down time (TSI to Start)?

Here is a transfer guide someone else is going through that should minimize down time

said by ssherwood:

Sure :

First, call Start and verify with them that your target date is OK. It needs to be at least 10 business days away from the day you call in to make your arrangements.

Then:

1) Call into TSI Support and let them know that you want to cancel *and* transfer your service to another provider.
2) Provide TSI your cancel/transfer date. (must be at least 10 business days away - so for me that was Feb.15 as today is Feb.1)
3) Ask that TSI "push" the cancellation request immediately.
4) Get TSI's confirmation number. (I also received an email with this number from TSI)
5) Ask for the Rogers Ticket # associated with the cancellation request.
6) Thank the nice TSI person for their kind help and wonderful service over the years.

Now call back Start and order your new service.

1) Make sure you tell them that you are transferring if you had cable service before. (saves you a $50 install fee)
2) If you are using your own modem, you will need to provide your "Customer Serial #" which is different from what you will find in the modem's GUI. Check your box/sticker for this info. You will also need to provide them your HFC MAC address for the modem.
3) Provide your TSI cancellation number
4) Provide your Rogers ticket number
5) Wait patiently for the 10 business days to pass
6) ENJOY extra Mbps!

-- SS

mlord's way of doing it is probably the only way to for sure have no downtime, but I guess you then incur the setup fee and need the spare modem.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by koolin:

mlord's way of doing it is probably the only way to for sure have no downtime, but I guess you then incur the setup fee and need the spare modem.

I don't think that it matters if you do it the same way as mlord because as long as you have an active internet connection already with a cable ISP you can say that you are doing a transfer and be able to save the $50.

See www.dslreports.com/forum/r27963157-Switching-from-Cogeco-to-Start-other-Cogeco-services-active

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to koolin

said by koolin:

No setup fee -- it's still just a transfer of service. Cancellation date for old ISP same as beginning date with Start.ca, results in a full day of overlap when done with two modems. I read elsewhere here that the overlap period can be arranged to be a few days if desired.

Cheers

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by mlord:

No setup fee -- it's still just a transfer of service. Cancellation date for old ISP same as beginning date with Start.ca, results in a full day of overlap when done with two modems.

I read elsewhere here that the overlap period can be arranged to be a few days if desired.

I believe this to be true too.

When I started with START last April (directly from Cogeco in Cogeco-Land, though), we had 2 modems registered, one with each provider, for something like 2 or 3 days.

Of course, being a guinea pig at that time, it felt right to do that.

My transfer was free, and all went well on the day that START started me up, though there had been some pre-logistics kinks to iron out for the first few of us.

I was able to swap modems, just power it down and the other one up, and sometimes also power cycle the router, IIRC, and a couple of minutes later could be running on the opposite provider.

The main trick seems to be that your modem for START should COME from START - that way, THEY have the MAC address and serial number in advance of sending the beast to you, to give to Rogers or Cogeco in advance of you receiving it.

That way, everyone ELSE is ready by the time that YOU are.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.