spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

deezee

@goodyear.com

DSL forces reconnect every day at 4am UTC (11pm EST)

I have tried the AT&T support line before, with no luck. Hopefully someone in this forum can help me.

Every day at 4 AM UTC, which is either at 11PM (winter) or 12AM (summer) eastern time, my DSL modem gets forced to reconnect, which results in a short outage and is highly annoying when your are watching a video from Netflix or HULU for example.

I have purposefully configured my modem to keep the connection up so that I can be reached via VoIP at all time.

While I can somewhat understand the requirement to reconnect DSL modems at least once in 24hrs, I do not understand the time of day AT&T has selected to do so. Anytime before 3am is bound to impact a lot of people that are trying to watch video or play online games.

Maybe someone can explain this AT&T choice to me, or even better point me towards someone at AT&T who can change it.

Regards,
DZ

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by deezee :

Every day at 4 AM UTC, which is either at 11PM (winter) or 12AM (summer) eastern time, my DSL modem gets forced to reconnect

If att was ending the internet connection the modems log should have messages that confirm it's att that is the cause.
said by deezee :

While I can somewhat understand the requirement to reconnect DSL modems at least once in 24hrs, I do not understand the time of day AT&T has selected to do so.

I think it's doubtful that att is causing the disconnect.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to deezee

said by deezee :

Every day at 4 AM UTC, which is either at 11PM (winter) or 12AM (summer) eastern time, my DSL modem gets forced to reconnect, which results in a short outage and is highly annoying when your are watching a video from Netflix or HULU for example.

I have purposefully configured my modem to keep the connection up so that I can be reached via VoIP at all time.

While I can somewhat understand the requirement to reconnect DSL modems at least once in 24hrs, I do not understand the time of day AT&T has selected to do so.

I have had DSL for twelve years: Pacific Bell (2001-2002), SBC (2002-2006), AT&T (2006-2011) and Sonic.net, LLC ("Fusion") (2011-2013). There is no requirement to "reconnect" the modem at least once in 24 hours.

Maybe someone can explain this AT&T choice to me, or even better point me towards someone at AT&T who can change it.

I doubt that it is a choice. However, once, during a voice line problem, a line tech mentioned an issue where a local business would upload a prodigious volume of data at the exact time every day. This would cause cross-talk in other pairs of a 200-pair binder, bringing down at least one DSL connection on an adjacent pair.

Posting your problem in the AT&T Direct forum may be of help.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to deezee

Is that a loss of sync or a loss of connection (authentication, PPPoE, or ATM transport) that you see at that time? Just checking for clarification as sometimes people will mix the two up and it makes a big difference as to how to approach the problem. Your modem logs should help you tell the difference.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam