spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Surprised
@verizon.net

Surprised

Anon

Free HBO- is this for real?

Pressed the guide on the remote and the guide didn't immediately come up which almost always means an ad for VOD or a message is about to come up.

Sure enough a very surprising message.

Something about because we are good FIOS customers we will get free HBO until May, 31 and then to let them know if we wish to continue.

Sure enough HBO is on (not Cinamax)

When I go to the message center, there is a new message thanking us for "ordering" HBO.

Happened to anyone else? What do you think? Will we get an unpleasant surprise with the next bill?

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez

MVM

Sounds like the usual 3 free months of HBO that they try to hook us with every now and then except they call us on the phone or try to get us to subscribe when we renew our contract. (IDK what part of "no" they are having trouble understanding )

I would for sure keep an eye on your bill (but it's a good idea to do that anyway) and if you are only interested in the free trial period, don't forget to cancel it when the free trial is due to expire because after that you will indeed get billed for it.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to Surprised

Premium Member

to Surprised
This is a little bit troubling. You didn't tell us the complete exact sequence of events, every little sub-message and button click that you went through, but it sounds like you clicked for the usual guide and got a message that you are now the honored recipient of 3 months of free HBO, and upon going to that channel, found that HBO was in fact showing on a screen near your living room. It is not unusual, though irritating as noted by somebodeez, for a limited time promotion to be offered, after which they hope you will either be so smitten with it that you will pay to continue your new addiction or forget that it was there and never look at your bill. But this sounds like they just put it in your lineup under the guise of having pushed a notification through the guide. Did you specifically and affirmatively agree at any point in the "interactive" transaction to accepting the trial period? Postal regulations allow you to keep without payment anything sent unsolicited. To my knowledge, there are no Federal regulations to keep unscrupulous operators from putting extraneous channels on your TV and then start charging you after you have likely forgotten the message.

dw

Surprised
@verizon.net

Surprised

Anon

said by dick white:

This is a little bit troubling.
dw

Exactly as I described. Hit the guide and the message popped up. It's not three months, it's four (it specifically gave the end date as May, 31).

Didn't agree to anything. I think I was sort of shocked at the unexpected message, I just exited. Immediately I was upset with myself for not snapping a picture of the message. I was hoping it would repeat itself on another box, but it didn't.

I don't even remember that it gave me any warning that I need to affirmatively cancel before May, 31st. Whatever it said, that I remember, was sort of vague.

[I paused here writing this, I thought to go to check my online account and found this proof:

"Limited Time Complimentary HBO

You currently have this service on your account."]

I guess we'll just go with the flow and call prior to the end of May to make sure it doesn't continue (but how will we get confirmation then for the request). Too bad Game of Thrones or any other worthwhile show is not currently in season. Will likely use it as much as the Showtime that is part of the bundle- maybe a couple of hours a week.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to Surprised

to Surprised
nice deal for you...getting HBO free for 4 months is great...it's the best channel out there (standard or premium)...I didn't know FiOS gives away premium channel trials like that

I have the Ultimate package with all premiums included and the pop up ad that showed up for me the past 2 Fridays is the one where if I order 3 pay per view movies in February I get the 4th free
cmthru
join:2005-03-19
Germantown, MD

cmthru to Surprised

to Surprised
I've had HBO free apparently for months. Didn't even known until I checked my account online mid-December. Says complimentary HBO until Dec 31, 2012. It's now Feb and HBO still running. The paper statement indicates nothing at about a free HBO trial. If it's going to be free until end of May all the better.

My online statement shows a bunch of sports premiums I've never ordered, mostly football and basketball channels. As long as I don't get charged I don't care.

Never saw one onscreen pop up about any of the premiums.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to Surprised

to Surprised
Hope I get this popup so I can have the pleasure of declining it. I'd love it if Verizon reported back to HBO the grand total of people who wouldn't even take their channel for nothing.

Surprised
@verizon.net

Surprised

Anon

said by knarf829:

Hope I get this popup so I can have the pleasure of declining it. I'd love it if Verizon reported back to HBO the grand total of people who wouldn't even take their channel for nothing.

I saw no choice for declining the offer.
Surprised

Surprised to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
said by cmthru:

I've had HBO free apparently for months. Didn't even known until I checked my account online mid-December. Says complimentary HBO until Dec 31, 2012. It's now Feb and HBO still running. The paper statement indicates nothing at about a free HBO trial. If it's going to be free until end of May all the better.

I would guess you should check your account online today to see if it is still listed as complimentary.
cmthru
join:2005-03-19
Germantown, MD

cmthru

Yes, the account online shows it as complimentary through Dec 31, 2012. As of this minute it's still active on my TV.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to Surprised

Premium Member

to Surprised
Well, this is troubling. I make no judgement about HBO, that's not the point. Some may like it, more power to them. I don't watch much TV in the first place. Because the basic tier only adds a few bucks to the price of FIOS internet, I'm willing to keep it for the times I do want to watch, e.g, tomorrow's "game that cannot be named in public unless I pay a license fee" in HD. But, if just by clicking on the Guide, I am setting myself up for a battle-royale with billing in June to have it taken off my bill, that's a problem. I'm less worried about the money as I pay my bill monthly as I go, not on auto-pay (much as they would like me to auto-pay) because their billing system is screwed up and their lame promises to "open a ticket to research your question" and "we'll give you a credit next month" never actually resolve the problem. So I only pay them the correct charge each month, but then their system reports me to the credit bureaus as a deadbeat for the unpaid incorrect charges.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to Surprised

Premium Member

to Surprised
I got the same pop up message for free HBO on both of my boxes, so now I'm enjoying HBO until the end of May.

It just gave you the option to choose 'ok', i didn't choose on either box, I just changed the channel, then changed to one of the HBO channels and sure enough there it was...

TitusTroy
New York, NY

TitusTroy

you guys getting HBO free until the end of May can now watch the entire new season (almost) of Game of Thrones!...starts up on March 31st and ends June 9th...so you miss the last 2 episodes

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto to Surprised

Premium Member

to Surprised
Same here. Just a notification that since I was such a good customer VZ was giving me HBO until May 31 for free. It listed the channel numbers for HBO in HD and SD. No mention of any obligation to cancel or continue and pay.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by vircotto:

Same here. Just a notification that since I was such a good customer VZ was giving me HBO until May 31 for free. It listed the channel numbers for HBO in HD and SD. No mention of any obligation to cancel or continue and pay.

Crap! They should deduct the cost of the subscription (until May, 31) from the bills of those of us (fools) who have been paying for it all along... Bugger!

Chinchilla
@verizon.net

Chinchilla to Surprised

Anon

to Surprised
Got this notification as well and the message saying "thank You For ordering." Troubling thing is I didn't discover it. a family member did. I signed in online and no message nor anything via email.
Conflicted as I don't mind the promo but I didn't order it. if I don't want it for my family on free preview weekends I can block. I shouldn't be gifted something I have to deal with to cancel.

TitusTroy
New York, NY

TitusTroy

said by Chinchilla :

Got this notification as well and the message saying "thank You For ordering." Troubling thing is I didn't discover it. a family member did. I signed in online and no message nor anything via email.
Conflicted as I don't mind the promo but I didn't order it. if I don't want it for my family on free preview weekends I can block. I shouldn't be gifted something I have to deal with to cancel

good point...seems like they added the channel via stealth so a lot of people might not even know that they have the channel free for 3 months...and hence they won't know that they need to cancel until the bill comes with an additional charge

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Surprised

to Surprised
BTW is this limited to the California area or have people in other FIOS footprints been offered this special?

anon493430
@verizon.net

anon493430

Anon

I've been offered it here in Chesapeake, VA

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

I guess us tivo users are being left out,since our boxes cant receive the verizon messages or on demand, at least they should include us by email!. and my bill has been around $380. 00 a month the last 4 months(with the nba league pass)

CentralNY
@verizon.net

CentralNY

Anon

Thanks for posting. I turned off pop-ups on my sets but see that HBO is now working on our sets.
RX300
join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX

RX300 to Surprised

to Surprised
Now try for HBO Go.
ohernan
join:2011-02-06
Dedham, MA

ohernan to CentralNY

to CentralNY
OK, to clarify when I turned off POP-UPS, I was able to watch the free HBO. I live in Massachusetts.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to Surprised

to Surprised
I wonder how they are picking customers for this? I haven't gotten it here in vho8.

vircotto
Premium Member
searching...

vircotto to Surprised

Premium Member

to Surprised
FWIW, I just received an email from VZ that clears up a couple of the questions. (Emphasis added by me.)
Thank you for being a loyal FiOS® TV customer! As a token of our appreciation, we are now including HBO® in your FiOS® TV programming package until the end of May. There is no additional cost to you and no action is required.

Simply tune to channel 899 HD (400 SD) to start watching the best Hollywood movies and award-winning original programming. We will automatically remove it for you after May 31, 2013.

Please enjoy the best programming FiOS® has to offer and let us know by the end of May if you want to keep watching HBO®.

Sincerely,

Arturo Picicci
Director, Customer Relationship Marketing

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by vircotto:

FWIW, I just received an email from VZ that clears up a couple of the questions. (Emphasis added by me.)

Was this an unsolicited email?

vircotto
Premium Member
searching...

vircotto

Premium Member

said by bohratom:

said by vircotto:

Was this an unsolicited email?

Yup.
daghis
Premium Member
join:2004-07-22
Canonsburg, PA

daghis to RX300

Premium Member

to RX300
I got the e-mail as well (Pittsburgh area) and confirmed that all of my HD HBO channels are on. I'm otherwise just a local channels subscriber.
said by RX300:

Now try for HBO Go.

No go on HBO GO. It says that I need to subscribe to HBO.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology

Premium Member

said by aztecnology:

I got the same pop up message for free HBO on both of my boxes, so now I'm enjoying HBO until the end of May.

It just gave you the option to choose 'ok', i didn't choose on either box, I just changed the channel, then changed to one of the HBO channels and sure enough there it was...

I got my email today as well...

bbslasher
@lightower.net

bbslasher

Anon

No luck in Westchester county in NY. Tried last night